Arjuna Ranatunga (cricketer) Wife, Weight, Height, Age, Records and More
(Former Sri Lanka cricketer, Politician)
Arjuna Ranatunga is regarded as the greatest Sri Lankan cricketer, for transforming it from a frail, routinely defeated team into a spirited and successful side. Ranatunga took the reins of Sri Lanka in 1988 and led the side for 11 years, also scripting Sri Lanka’s greatest cricketing triumph in 1996 World Cup.
|Nickname:||Captain Cool, Captain|
|Profession:||Former Sri Lanka cricketer, Politician|
|Height (approx.):||5′ 8″|
|Date of Birth:||December 1, 1963|
|Age (as on 2018):||54 years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Sagittarius|
|College:||Ananda College Colombo|
|Father:||Reggie Ranatunga (Politician)|
|Brother:||N Ranatunga, S Ranatunga, D Ranatunga (all International cricketers)|
|Test:||17–21 February 1982 vs England|
|ODI:||14 February 1982 vs England|
|Major Team:||Sri Lanka, Sinhalese Sports Club|
|Nature on field:||Calm|
|Likes to play against:||NA|
|Career Turning Point|
- Ranatunga was the first Sri Lankan to score a fifty in a Test match.
- Ranatunga is the first cricketer to play in his country’s first and hundredth Test match.
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||NA|
|Favourite sports Commentator:||NA|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Children:||Dhyan Ranatunga (son)|
|Awards and recognitions|
- Led Sri Lanka to ICC World Cup triumph in 1996
- Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1999
- Ranatunga often called in a runner during long innings, due to his level of fitness.
- In one of the ODI games in 1995/6 season, Ranatunga instructed his players not to shake the Australian players’ hands. During this match, Sanath Jayasuriya and Australian paceman Glenn McGrath were also involved in physical jostling.
- On his confrontations with Ranatunga, Warne wrote in his 2008 book Shane Warne’s Century, “You can’t be mates with everyone.” However, the Aussie also admired Ranatunga, and said, ” Ranatunga helped to put Sri Lanka on the cricket map. And you know what? Deep down, I’ll quietly admit that I rated him as a cricketer.”
- Arjuna Ranatunga and Ross Emerson had a heated argument in 1999 after the latter kept Muralitharan from bowling, calling it ‘throwing.’
|Lesser Known Facts|