Ashish Diwan Singh Nehra
(Former Indian Cricketer)
Ashish Nehra the lanky left-arm seamer made his Test debut way back in 1999 vs Sri Lanka. He is often called “Nehra Ji” by his colleagues, fans and former teammates. Though his career states that he was around the cricketing circuit for 18 years but he has be prone to many injuries throughout his career. He ended-up his career at his homeground in Feroz Shah Kotla in a T20 game against New Zealand, though he could not bag any wicket in his final appearance but India won the match quite convincingly and gave a fitting farewell to one of India’s legendary bowler.
|Ashish Diwan Singh Nehra|
|Profession:||Former Indian Cricketer|
|Height (approx.):||6 Feet 4 Inches|
|Weight (approx.):||70 Kgs|
|Date of Birth:||29th April 1979|
|Age (as on 2018):||39 years|
|Birth Place:||Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Taurus|
|School:||Salwan Public School, Delhi|
|College:||Rajdhani College, New Delhi|
|Father:||Diwan Singh Nehra|
|Brother:||Bhanu Nehra (Restaurant Owner)|
|Test:||24th February 1999 vs Sri Lanka|
|ODI:||24th June 2001 vs Zimbabwe|
|T20:||9th December 2009 vs Sri Lanka|
|Jersey Number:||#64 (International and Domestic)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Delhi, Delhi Daredevils, Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings, Asia XI, Pune Warriors India, North Zone, Sunrisers Hyderabad.|
|Nature on field:||Aggressive|
|Likes to play against:||Pakistan|
|Career Turning Point|
- His debut ODI series performance against Zimbabwe.
- He holds the record for the best bowling figures by an Indian in World Cup history. It was the 2003 edition where he took 6 for 23 against England in Durban.
- He is the only Indian to scalp 6 wickets twice in ODIs. He achieved this feat against England in World Cup 2003 and against Sri Lanka in Colombo.
|Hobbies:||Listening to Music|
|Favourite Batsmen:||Virender Sehwag, Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar|
|Favourite Bowlers:||Wasim Akram|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||Feroz Shah Kotla, New Delhi|
|Favourite sports Commentator:||NA|
|Favourite Food:||Thai Cuisine, Chicken and Chinese food.|
|Favourite Actors:||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Children:||Ariana Nehra (Daughter), Aarush Nehra (Son)|
|Net Worth:||Around $1.2 Million|
|Awards and recognitions|
- In his debut ODI series against Zimbabwe in 2001, he was warned twice for running down the pitch due to which he was banned from bowling further. He became the first Indian bowler who was banned from bowling.
- In the 2010 T20 World Cup, he was involved in a pub brawl along with 5 other Indian cricketers.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Nehra has been an injury prone asset of the Indian team as he has had numerous major and minor injuries which has kept him aside from playing international cricket. But his grit has always helped him a lot and that is why he is denoted as the “Comeback Man” of Indian cricket team.
- In his early days, he used to sit behind Virender Sehwag’s scooter and the two used to travel to Feroz Shah Kotla to play cricket together.
- He started using a smartphone in the year 2016, before that he used to have a normal black and white phone.
- Former Pakistan fast bowler Wasim Akram is his idol.
- Nehra is also called “Mr Glass” as he has had numerous bone injuries throughout his career.
- In the 2005 series against Pakistan, MS Dhoni dropped a catch of Shahid Afridi of Nehra’s bowling, Nehra got furious and he abused the newcomer Dhoni loud and clear.
- In the year 2003, Virat Kohli’s coach Raj Kumar invited Nehra to his academy, where he awarded the highest run-getter of 2002-2003 Polly Umrigar Trophy young Virat Kohli.
- He played his final international game at his hometown at Feroz Shah Kotla in New Delhi against New Zealand which also was India’s first ever T20 win over New Zealand.
- On his farewell international game, the Delhi District Cricket Association (DDCA) named the “Ambedkar Stadium Stand” to “Ashish Nehra End”.