(Former West Indies Cricketer)
Standing at a towering 6ft 7inches, Curtly Ambrose is one of the most lethal fast bowler in the history of cricket. A giant of the game in every sense, Ambrose was not the best swing bowlers but pin-point accurate. Ambrose used his height to trouble the batsmen with rise deliveries and bowling bouncers.
|Profession:||Former West Indies Cricketer, Cricket Coach|
|Role:||Right-arm fast bowler|
|Autobiography:||Time to Talk|
|Date of Birth:||21 September 1963|
|Age (as on 2018):||54 years|
|Birth Place:||Swetes, Antigua and Barbuda|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Libra|
|Test:||2 April 1988 vs Pakistan|
|ODI:||12 March 1988 vs Pakistan|
|Major Teams:||West Indies, Leeward Islands,Northamptonshire, UWI Vice Chancellor’s Celebrity XI,West Indies Masters|
|Nature on field:||Aggressive fast bowler|
|Likes to play against:||NA|
|Career Turning Point|
- Best bowling average (20.99) among the bowlers with 400+ Test wickets.
- Ambrose registered one of the best bowling figures in Test cricket (7 for 1) against Australia in 1993.
|Hobbies:||Playing guitar, Playing basketball and football|
|Favourite Cricketers:||Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Wasim Akram, Ricky Ponting, David Gower, Javed Miandad, Graham Gooch, Jacques Kallis|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:|
|Favourite sports Commentator:||NA|
|Favourite Food:||Steamed fish, Chocolate|
|Favourite Actors:||John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson|
|Favourite Films:||Chinese karate movies|
|Favourite Musicians/Singers:||Katy Perry, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Awards and recognitions|
- Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 1992
- ICC Hall of Fame (inducted in 2011)
- Knighted in 2014
- Ambrose had an confrontation with Steve Waugh in 1995. He told the Aussie, “Man, I will knock you out – here and now. I don’t care if I have no career left.” West Indies captain Richie Richardson calmed things between the two. The West Indies pace bowler later revealed in his autobiography, “I did want to get physical. I was going to beat him, I was that mad…beating him would have given me some satisfaction.”
|Lesser Known Facts|
- In his early years, Ambrose was pretty much into Basketball. His mother advised him to say no to a lucrative basketball deal in USA and pursue a career in cricket.
- Post-retirement, Ambrose made a career in music as the bass guitarist. He has a reggae band called Spirited. He took up playing guitar on insistence of his teammate (and later captain) Richie Richardson.