(West Indies Cricketer)
Dwayne Smith is the perfect prototype of typical Caribbean batsmen- tall, imposing, high backlift, booming drives and strong pickup shots over deep square leg and midwicket.
Recognized as a prodigious talent by none other than Sir Vivian Richards, Smith made his debut against the Proteas during the 2002-03 season. Smith justified his selection as he became just the 11th West Indian to score a Test hundred on debut. However, the glory was short-lived as it turned out to be his lone international hundred.
Due to repeated failures, Smith found himself out of the reckoning from the side before T20 cricket- a format more suited to his abilities. Smith represented franchises like Mumbai Indians and the Deccan Chargers before being notched up by the Chennai Super Kings in 2014. His strong showing in the IPL led to a national comeback for the 2015 World Cup but he again failed to make the most of his chances and ended the tournament with a mere 93 runs. His last international game came against the United Arab Emirates in the 2015 World Cup.
|Profession:||West Indies Cricketer (Batsman)|
|Weight (approx.):||83 kg|
|Date of Birth:||April 12, 1983|
|Age (as on 2018):||35|
|Birth Place:||Codrington Hill, Barbados|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Aries|
|Test:||January 02, 2004, vs South Africa at Newlands, Cape Town|
|ODI:||January 25, 2004, vs South Africa at Newlands, Cape Town|
|T201:||February 16, 2006, vs New Zealand at Eden Park, Auckland|
|Jersey Number:||#50 (Windies), #50 (IPL, County Cricket) #812 (Islamabad United)|
|Domestic/State Team:||West Indies, Islamabad United, Sydney Sixers and Barbados Tridents|
|Nature on the field:||Aggressive|
|Like to play against:|
|Favourite stroke:||hook over midwicket and deep square-leg.|
|Career Turning Point|
- Simmons was rumoured to have been recognized by Sir Vivian Richards and was drafted in the Windies side for the 2002-03 tour of South Africa.
|Hobbies:||Playing Golf, Listening to music, Driving|
|Favourite Football Team:||N/A|
|Favourite sports personalities:||N/A|
|Favourite TV Shows:||NA|
|Smoking/Alcohol:||Not Known/ Yes|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Awards and recognitions|
- Smith scored a century on debut in the second innings; only the 11th West Indian to achieve the coveted feat.
- Smith holds the record for the most number of ducks in T20 cricket (25) preceded by Pakistan’s Umar Akmal (24).
- His 51-ball 73 was instrumental in his side clinching the 2016 Pakistan Super League title.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Dwayane Smith has played for a plethora of franchises all over the world from the Chennai Super Kings to Sydney Sixers and Islamabad United.