Kumar Chokshanada Sangakkara
(Sri Lankan Retired Cricketer)
One of the most elegant left-hander to play for Sri-Lanka, the former captain Kumar Sangakkara. Pursuing his career in the field of Law, Sangakkara developed an interest in cricket when he started to play for his college cricket team. His game was nurturing day by day thanks to the guidance of coach Sunil Fernando, that is when he got selected for the Under-19 Sri Lankan team and the rest is history. He was prolific in all the formats of the game and is the highest run-getter for Sri Lankan cricket and 5th overall with 12,400 runs to his name from 134 test matches at an average of 57.40. He was an aspiring leader as well and under his leadership, Sri Lanka made it to the World Cup finals in the year 2011.
|Height (approx.):||177.8 cm|
|Weight (approx.):||65 kg|
|Date of Birth:||2nd October 1977|
|Age (as on 2017):||40 years|
|Birth Place:||Matale, Sri Lanka|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Scorpio|
|School:||Trinity College, Kandy|
|College:||Trinity College, Kandy and Faculty of law, University of Colombo|
|Address:||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Test:||20th July 2000 vs South Africa|
|ODI:||5th July 2000 vs Pakistan|
|T20:||15 June 2006 vs England|
|Jersey Number:||#11 (International)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Quetta Gladiators, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Warwickshire, Asia XI, Central Province, Colombo District Cricket Association, Deccan Chargers, Durham, Hobart Hurricanes, ICC World XI, Jamaica Tallawahs, Kandurata, Kandurata Maroons, Kings XI Punjab, Marylebone Cricket Club, Multan Sultans, Nondescripts Cricket Club, Surrey.|
|Nature on field:||Calm|
|Likes to play against:||Australia and India|
|Favourite Shot/Ball:||Cover drive|
- He is the highest ever run getter in ODI cricket for Sri Lanka with 14234 runs to his name. He achieved this feat on 29 January 2015.
- He has scored over 12,000 runs in test cricket at a towering average of 57.40.
- He has scalped the ICC ODI Cricketer of the year award twice in his illustrious career once in 2011 and the other time in 2013.
- He has also bagged ICC Test cricketer of the year in 2012 and the same year he also won ICC Cricketer of the year.
|Career Turning Point:||Got selected in the Sri Lankan A team and he scored a brilliant century in one of the matches after which he got a call-up for the national squad.|
|Favourite Batsmen:||Brian Lara|
|Favourite Bowlers:||Muttiah Muralitharan, Wasim Akram|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||Asgiriya Stadium|
|Favourite sports personalities:||NA|
|Favourite Food:||Rice and Curry|
|Favourite Actors/Actresses:||Al Pacino and Robert De Niro/Claire Forlani and Julia Roberts|
|Favourite Films:||Usual Suspects, Shawshank Redemption, Raginig Bull|
|Favourite Musicians/Singers:||Led Zeppelin, U2|
|Favourite Book:||Midnight’s Children|
|Cars Collection:||BMW Jeep V8, Mercedes Jeep, Rolls Royce, Mercedes Benz|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Marriage Date:||11th December 2017|
|Children:||A daughter and a son|
|Net Worth:||$21 million|
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Smoking: No
- Drinking Alcohol: Yes
- Sanga was more into studies and was inspired to become a lawyer.
- In the year 2100, he became the youngest and first ever active International player to deliver a speech at the prestigious MCC Spirit of Cricket.
- His speech was widely praised around the cricketing world and has been described as “one of the most important speeches in cricketing history”.
- Sangakkara is considered as one of the most respected cricketers in the world.
- He is currently the youngest and the second ever Sri Lankan to be invited for MCC World Cricket Committee. Second Sri Lankan to achieve this feat after Michael Tissera.
- He is been involved in a number of charities, he is an active member of ‘Think Wise initiative’ launched by ICC. He is also involved with the United Nations programme on HIV-Aids and UNICEF.
- He is also the Ambassador of Anti-narcotics program in Sri Lanka ,the president of Sri Lanka Maithripala Sirisena appointed him after the Sri Lankan Parliamentary Elections in 2015.