Denagamage Praboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene
(Former Sri Lankan Cricketer )
Denagamage Praboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene is a former Sri Lankan player who led the Sri Lankan team into the finals of the 2007 Cricket World Cup where his side lost to the eventual winners Australia in the finals. He has currently taken the role of a coach and coaching different teams around the globe which also includes 3-time IPL champions Mumbai Indians. Among the various records which he holds, he is the second highest run-getter for Sri Lanka in ODIs and Test cricket with 12,650 runs and 11,814 runs respectively to his name. He also holds the record for being the first Sri Lankan batsman to surpass the 10,000 run mark.
|Profession:||Former Sri Lankan Cricketer and is the current coach of IPL side Mumbai Indians|
|Height (approx.):||5 feet 8 inches|
|Weight (approx.):||71 kgs|
|Eye Colour:||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth:||27th May 1977|
|Age (as on 2018):||41 years|
|Birth Place:||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Gemini|
|College:||Nalanda College Colombo|
|Brother:||Late Dhishal Jayawardene (Died of a brain tumour)|
|Address:||Pelawatta, Sri Lanka|
|Test:||2nd August 1997 vs India|
|ODI:||24th January 1998 vs Zimbabwe|
|T20:||15 June 2006 vs England|
|Domestic/State Team:||Sinhalese Sports Club, Wayamba Eleven, Kings XI Punjab, Kochi Tuskers Kerala, Delhi Daredevils, Wayamba United, Trinidad and Tobago Red Steels, Sussex, Jamaica Tallawahs, Central Stags, Adelaide Strikers, Dhaka Dynamites, Somerset, Karachi Kings.|
|Nature on field:||Calm|
|Likes to play against:||NA|
|Career Turning Point|
- He was a consistent run-getter in the domestic circuit which helped him grab the eyeballs of national selectors and soon he was in the national team.
- He holds the record for the third highest Test score of 374 runs which he got against a quality bowling attack of South Africa. This is also the highest individual score by a right-handed batsman.
- He along with Kumar Sangakkara has stitched a 624 runs partnership for the third wicket which is a world record stand for any wicket.
- He is the first Sri Lankan cricketer to achieve the feat of scoring 10,000 runs in Test cricket.
- He is the first Sri Lankan batsman to score a century in the IPL. He did this in the 2010 edition against Kolkata Knight Riders.
- He is the first Sri Lankan to score a T20I hundred which he got in the ICC World T20 2010.
- He is the first batsman to score a ton in Masters Champions League T20.
- Mahela has the most number of runs in ODI history while batting at the number 4 position. His runs tally at this position is 6,946.
- He is the leading run scorer in T20 World Cup history with 1016 runs to his name and is also the first batsman to cross the 1000 runs mark in ICC World T20.
- Mahela holds the record for grabbing most number of catches in ODI history with 218 catches from 448 matches to his name.
- In the year 2014, he became the second player after Sachin Tendulkar to have featured in 600 or more International games across format.
|Hobbies:||Playing Golf and Lawn Tennis|
|Favourite Bowlers:||Lasith Malinga, Muttiah Muralitharan|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||NA|
|Favourite sportsmen:||Roger Federer|
|Favourite Food:||Coconut Date Balls, Rinderbraten|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Affairs/Girlfriends:||Christina Mallika Sirisena|
|Wife/Spouse:||Christina Mallika Sirisena (Travel Consultant)|
|Marriage Date:||3rd November 2005|
|Children:||A daughter named Sanasa Araya Jayawardene|
|Net Worth:||USD 8 Million|
|Awards and recognitions|
- Wisden Cricketer of the Year 2007
- ICC Spirit of Cricket Award 2013
- ICC skipper of the year 2013
- In the second and final T20I against Australia at Brisbane, Mahela Jayawardene had an ugly spat with Australia’s Glenn Maxwell who was waiting for the final ball to be bowled with Australia needing 4 runs to win of the final delivery. Mahela was having a group discussion on the field with the bowler Thisara Perera and skipper Angelo Mathews and they were taking some time to deliver the last ball due to which Glenn Maxwell said something in annihilation which led Mahela to outburst on him and he abused him at the same time.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- In the year 2006, he got the accolade of best Test captain of the year from ICC.
- He was signed for Derbyshire as an overseas pick for the first half of the 2008 English season. But, his commitments for the national side and IPL contract sidelined him from playing for Derbyshire.
- In May 2016, he appeared first time as a commentator in a Test match played by Sri Lanka.
- He has also served as the batting consultant for England Cricket team in 2015. He started this role by accompanying England for the series against Pakistan in UAE.
- In the year 2017, he was appointed as the coach of IPL franchise Mumbai Indians and in his very first stint, he made his team a 3-time IPL champion.
- In the year 2007, he was named as the best Test cricket Player.
- He regularly contributes to a cancer foundation named ‘HOPE’ in the memory of his deceased brother Dhishal Jayawardene who died of a brain tumour at a very early age.