Navjot Sidhu (cricketer) Wife, Weight, Height, Age, Records and More
Navjot Singh Sidhu
(Retired Indian Cricketer)
Navjot Singh Sidhu, popularly known as “Sixer Singh” was one of the most destructive openers in mid-1980’s and 90’s. Sidhu was one of the most prolific hitters of the cricket ball and used to hit sixes at will. Apart from being a cricketer he has been serving in the politics as well and is serving as the Minister of Local Government, Tourism, Cultural Affairs and Museum of the state of Punjab. He has played cricket for India from 1983 till 1999, a career span of 16 years, and the biggest highlight of his career being the four half-centuries he scored in the 1987 World Cup after being dropped from the national side in 1983. He has featured in 51 Test averaging 42.41 and 136 One-day Internationals averaging 37.08. As of now, he is serving for the Indian National Congress party and has also appeared and been a judge in many TV shows like The Great Indian Laughter Challenge, Comedy Nights with Kapil, The Kapil Sharma Show etc.
|Nickname:||Sixer Sidhu, Sheri Paaji, Siddhu Paaji|
|Profession:||Retired Cricketer, Commentator, Politician|
|Weight (approx.):||84 kg|
|Hair Colour:||Light Brown|
|Date of Birth:||20 October 1963|
|Age (as on 2018):||54 years|
|Birth Place:||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Libra|
|School:||Yadavindra Public School, Patiala|
|College:||Mohindra College, Punjab University, Chandigarh|
|Father:||Late Sardar Bhagwant Singh|
|Mother:||Late Nirmal Sidhu|
|Sister:||Suman Toor, Late Neelam Mahajan|
|Address:||Mumbai, Maharashtra (Hometown: Patiala, Punjab)|
|Test:||November 12, 1983 vs West Indies at Ahmedabad|
|ODI:||9 October 1987 vs Australia at Chennai|
|Nature on field:||Very Aggressive while Batting|
|Likes to play against:||Pakistan|
|Favourite Shot/Ball:||Hitting over the top|
- He lost his place in the Indian squad after his international debut in the year 1983, he made a return to the team in the 1987 World Cup and scored 4 centuries.
- Sidhu is the first Indian to score 5 ODI centuries.
- In the year 1996-97 in a Test match against West Indies, he batted for almost 11 hours and made his first and only double century.
- He holds a unique record of scoring 500 Test runs in three calendar years 1993, 1994 and 1997.
|Career Turning Point:||When he got selected in the national squad for the 1987 World Cup.|
|Hobbies:||Learning new things by surfing internet|
|Favourite Batsmen:||Sachin Tendulkar|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||NA|
|Favourite sports personalities:||Sunil Gavaskar|
|Favourite Food:||Chole Bhature and other Indian Cuisine|
|Favourite Actors:||Kangana Ranaut, Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Books:||Swami Vivekananda’s Books|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Children:||A daughter and a son|
|Wife/Spouse:||Navjot Kaur Sidhu|
|Net Worth:||Rs 15 Crore|
|Salary:||6-8 Lakh per episode (TV Shows)|
- Navjot Sidhu had a road rage in the year 1988 and he was convicted for the same in the year 2006, but later after appealing in the Supreme Court his sentence was suspended.
- In the year 2014, he was accused by Star India after he breached their contract and commentated for Sony Max’s IPL.
- The All India Sikh Student Federation filed a complaint against him to Akal Takht for twisting words from Gurbani.
- He has been a victim of seized bank accounts after he failed to pay taxes in March 2018 and therefore the Income Tax department seized his account.
|Awards and Recognitions|
- In the year 1989, he was named among 5 Indian Cricketer as the Cricketer of the year 1989.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Not many people know this, Navjot Singh Sidhu’s father Late Sardar Bhagwat Singh was a cricketer as well.
- According to Sidhu, meditation is his best friend and he says he meditates to keep himself fit, determined and help him overcome his tensions.
- He was born in a Jat family.
- In the 1996 tour of England, he walked out of the tour because according to him his captain Mohammad Azharuddin used to frequently abuse him.
- After retirement from international cricket, he joined politics in December 1999.
- He made his Test debut in the year 1983 but was dropped from the side after two lacklustre performances. Four years later, he made a comeback in the 1987 World Cup squad and registered 5 centuries in the competition.
- He and his wife have the same names.
- He has done many Indian TV shows like Big Boss, The Kapil Sharma Show, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge and appeared in cameo roles on the big screen as well.
- Currently, he is associated with Indian National Congress Party(INC) since January 15, 2017.
- He was a member of parliament of Amritsar East when he was associated to BJP prior to INC.
- An NGO offered Rs 2 Lakh for getting him back at the Lok Sabha consituency after a relatively long time absence.