Ravishankar Jayadritha Shastri
(Former Indian Cricketer & Head Coach of Indian cricket team)
Born on 27 May 1962 in Bombay, Maharashtra, Ravi Shastri is the current head coach of Indian national team and a former commentator and player. Right handed batsman, Shastri was an opening as well as middle order batsman and later transformer himself as batting all-rounder.
He made his ODI debut against England in 1981 and played till 1992. He was forced to take retirement due to a knee injury. He has been a constant contributor to the game through commentary and hosting presentation ceremonies on behalf of BCCI. In 2014, Shastri was appointed as the director of BCCI and in July 2017 he took over the head coach role from Anil Kumble.
|Profession:||Former cricketer, commentator and current head coach of Indian team|
|Height (approx.):||1.92 m|
|Date of Birth:||27 May 1962|
|Age (as on 2018):||56|
|Birth Place:||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Gemini|
|School:||Don Bosco High School, Matunga|
|College:||R A Podar College|
|Educational Qualifications:||Bachelors in Commerce|
|Father:||M. Jayadratha Shastri|
|Test:||vs New Zealand on 21 February 1981|
|ODI:||vs England on 25 November 1981|
|Domestic/State Team:||Bombay Cricket team, Glamorgan, MCC|
|Nature on the field:||NA|
|Likes to play against:||NA|
|Favorite Shot:||Chapati Shot (flick off the pads)|
|Career Turning Point|
- At the age of 17 years, Shastri was selected to represent Bombay at domestic level.
- Coming at tenth position to bat on his test debut, Shastri moved up in the batting order and started to open the innings within eighteen months.
|Favourite Batsmen:||Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli|
|Favourite Football Team:||NA|
|Favourite sports personalities:||NA|
|Favourite Food:||Nawabi Fish Tikka and Kakori Kebab|
|Favourite Place on earth:||NA|
|Favourite TV Shows:||NA|
|In International cricket:
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Affairs/Girlfriends:||Amrita Singh and Nimrat Kaur (rumour)|
|Net Worth:||$8 million USD|
|Awards and Recognitions|
- Shastri received Arjuna Awards for Cricket in 1984
- In 2017, he received CNN-IBN Indian of the Year Special Acheivement
ITA Award for Best Anchor Commentator – Sports
- Shastri has always been in media due to his statements of lifestyle.
- There has always been a feud between Ravi Shastri and former Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly. Both have involved in the heated words of exchange for multiple times.
- He also created a controversy by claiming the current Indian test team to be the best in the last 15 years.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Shastri was superstitious while playing and always put left pad before the right. While being a commentator he always carried a bottle of water and chewing gum.
- India winning the World Cup 2011 is the best moment as commentator for Shastri.
- Shastri was always flamboyant like he is in the current days. Parties, alcohol and affairs have always been a constant companion to him.
- In 2012, there were news circulating in newspapers that Ravi Shastri had filed a divorce. However, Shastri says that nothing sort of this happened ever.