(Former South African Cricketer)
Hailing from a cricketing family with Scottish ancestry, Shaun Pollock is one of the greatest bowlers the game has ever produced. He is the grandson of Andrew MacLean Pollock who has played domestic cricket for South Africa and the son of former South African bowler Peter Pollock.
It was never about pace for Shaun Pollock who started his career in 1995, his prime focus was to bowl on line and length and pitch the ball in the good length. He had a unique ability to swing the ball on any surface and that is the reason why he is the joint highest wicket taker for South Africa along with speedster Dale Steyn snaring 421 wickets.
|Profession:||Former South African Cricketer|
|Height (approx.):||6 feet 1 inches|
|Weight (approx.):||72 Kgs|
|Date of Birth:||16th July 1973|
|Age (as on 2018):||45 years|
|Birth Place:||Port Elizabeth, South Africa|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Cancer|
|College:||University of Natal|
|Educational Qualifications:||Bachelor of Commerce|
|Father:||Peter Pollock (Former international cricketer)|
|Address:||Port Elizabeth, South Africa|
|Test:||16th November 1995 vs England|
|ODI:||9th January 1996 vs England|
|T20:||21st October 2005 vs New Zealand|
|Jersey Number:||#7 (International, domestic)|
|Domestic/State Team:||KwaZulu-Natal, Warwickshire, Dolphins, Mumbai Indians, Durham|
|Nature on field:||Calm|
|Likes to play against:||England|
|Career Turning Point|
- After the life time ban of Hansie Cronje, Shaun was given the captaincy of the national side in April 2000.
- Shaun Pollock holds the record for scoring 2 Test centuries while batting at the 9th position. Infact, he is the only player in the world to do so.
- Shaun holds the record for playing most number of innings before scoring an ODI ton.
- While playing at the home soil he has taken the most numbers of ODI wickets i.e. 193.
- He is the joint highest wicket taker for South Africa in Test cricket along with Dale Steyn. He has got 421 Test wickets to his name.
- He is the first Test captain to remain unbeaten on 99 in a Test innings.
|Favourite Bowlers:||Curtly Ambrose|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||Sahara Oval, Port Elizabeth|
|Favourite sports Commentator:||NA|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Wife/Spouse:||Patricia “Trish” Lauderdale (Former Model)|
|Children:||2 daughters, Jemma and Georgia Pollock|
|Awards and recognitions|
- He was awarded as the Wisden Cricketer of the year in 2003.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Shaun Pollock comes from a family of Scottish ancestry.
- He is the son of former International player Peter Pollock and the nephew of legendary South African cricketer Graeme Pollock.
- He has a bachelor degree in commerce.
- His wife Patricia Lauderdale was the finalist of Miss South Africa pageant in the early 90’s.
- He is involved in charity work and does motivational speaking as well.
- He has also been a coach of IPL franchise Mumbai Indians.
- He announced his retirement from International cricket on 11th January 2008.