(Sri Lankan Cricketer)
Upul Tharanga is known as someone who’s too good on his day and too ugly on the other. His 12-year-old career is marked by inconsistency. For a batsman with 15 ODI tons to his name and once a regular opening partner of the legend Sanath Jayasuriya, Tharanga has not done enough to justify the talent he possesses. He was never a regular in the longest form of the game largely because of his inconsistency.
|Upul Tharanga |
|Nickname: ||Upula |
|Profession: ||Left-hand top-order batsman, occasional wicketkeeper |
|Autobiography: ||NA |
|Biopic: ||NA |
|Physical Appearance |
|Height (approx.): ||5’11” |
|Weight (approx.): ||NA |
|Eye Colour: ||Black |
|Hair Colour: ||Black |
|Tattoos: ||NA |
|Personal Life |
|Date of Birth: ||2 February 1985 |
|Age (as on 2018): ||33 years |
|Birth Place: ||Balapitiya, Sri Lanka |
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign: ||Aquarius |
|Nationality: ||Sri Lankan |
|School: ||NA |
|College: ||Devananda College, Ambalangoda |
|Educational Qualifications: ||NA |
|Signature: || |
|Father: ||Warushavithanage Bhadrasoma (fish market dealer by profession) |
|Mother: ||R.J Padma |
|Sister: ||Kumesha Manori |
|Brother: ||Nuwan Tharanga (elder) |
|Coach/Mentor: ||NA |
|Religion: ||Buddhism |
|Address: ||NA |
|Cricket Career |
|International Debut: |
|Test: ||18 December 2005 vs India |
|ODI: ||2 August 2005 vs West Indies |
|T20: ||15 June 2006 vs England |
|Jersey Number: ||#44 (Sri Lanka) |
|Major Team: ||Asia XI, Kandurata Maroons, Mohammedan Sporting Club, Nondescripts Cricket Club, Ruhuna, Singha Sports Club, Sri Lanka A, Sri Lanka Board President’s XI, Sri Lanka Board XI, Sylhet Sixers |
|Nature on field: ||Aggressive Batsman |
|Likes to play against: ||NA |
|Favourite Shot/Ball: ||NA |
Successful run with Sri Lanka under-19 earned him the reckoning.
- Tharanga is the fastest Sri Lankan to get to 4000 ODI runs, achieving the feat in 119 innings.
- Upul Tharanga is Sri Lanka’s second-highest individual ODI scorer – 174 (not out) vs India in 2013.
- Tharanga is the second batsman in the world (along with Ricky Ponting) to be involved in 200+ partnerships seven times in ODI cricket.
|Hobbies: ||Golf |
|Favourite Batsmen: ||NA |
|Favourite Bowlers: ||NA |
|Favourite Cricket Ground: ||NA |
|Favourite sports Commentator: ||NA |
|Favourite Food: ||NA |
|Favourite Actors: ||NA |
|Favourite Films: ||NA |
|Favourite Musicians/Singers: ||NA |
|Favourite Destination: ||NA |
|Smoking/Alcohol: ||NA |
|Style Quotient |
|Cars Collection: ||NA |
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children |
|Marital Status: ||Married |
|Affairs/Girlfriends: ||NA |
|Wife/Spouse: ||Nilanka Vithanage |
|Marriage Date: ||NA |
|Children: ||NA |
|Net Worth: ||NA |
|Retainer Fee: ||NA |
|Test Fee: ||NA |
|ODI Fee: ||NA |
|T20 Fee: ||NA |
|IPL 11: ||NA |
- In 2011, Tharanga was slapped with a three-month suspension from all cricket for using substances banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
- Tharanga has been a part of Sri Lanka’s Under-15 and Under-19 side. He represented Sri Lanka in U-19 Cricket World Cup in 2004.
- Tharanga lost his home in Abmbalagonda to the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and the Tsunami. In the time of distress, Sangakkara helped Tharanga with cricket equipment and set his cricket on track.
- Tharanga got married to Nilanka Vithanage, who is Tillakaratne Dilshan’s ex-wife. Reportedly, Tharanga was the reason for the rift between Dilshan and Vithanage that led to their divorce.