(Former Australian Cricketer)
One of the most prolific all-rounders in limited overs cricket Andrew Symonds was a nightmare for any bowling attack in his prime. His ability to hit the ball hard and winning games almost single handedly made him an exciting prosect for Australian Cricket. Usually considered as the ‘Bad Guy' in Australian cricket, Symonds has always been the talk of the town for his wayward attitude. But, his cricketing skills which includes misery bowling and sharpness on the field was something exceptional to watch. He retired from International cricket in the year February 2012 and his substitute in the limited overs format is still unfound.
|Andrew Symonds |
|Nickname: ||Symo and Roy |
|Profession: ||Former Australian Cricketer |
|Autobiography: ||Roy: Going for Broke |
|Biopic: ||NA |
|Physical Appearance |
|Height (approx.): ||6 Feet 2 Inches |
|Weight (approx.): ||80 Kgs |
|Eye Colour: ||Brown |
|Hair Colour: ||Bald |
|Tattoos: ||NA |
|Personal Life |
|Date of Birth: ||9th June 1975 |
|Age (as on 2018): ||43 years |
|Birth Place: ||Birmingham, England |
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign: ||Gemini |
|Nationality: ||Australian |
|School: ||Caroline Chisholm School- Senior Campus/All Saints Anglican School |
|College: ||Ballarat Clarendon College |
|Educational Qualifications: ||NA |
|Signature: || |
|Social Media |
|Facebook page: ||NA |
|Twitter: ||@RoySymonds63 |
|Instagram: ||@roysymonds |
|Father: ||Ken Symonds |
|Mother: ||Barbara Symonds |
|Sister: ||Louise Symonds |
|Brother: ||NA |
|Coach/Mentor: ||NA |
|Religion: ||Christianity |
|Address: ||NA |
|Cricket Career |
|International Debut: |
|Test: ||8th March 2004 vs Sri Lanka |
|ODI: ||10th November 1998 vs Pakistan |
|T20: ||17th February 2005 vs New Zealand |
|Jersey Number: ||#63 (International and Domestic) |
|Domestic/State Team: ||Queensland, Kent, Gloucestershire, Lancashire, Surrey, Deccan Chargers, Mumbai Indians. |
|Nature on field: ||Very Aggressive |
|Likes to play against: ||India and England |
|Favourite Shot/Ball: ||NA |
- His career took off after the 2003 World Cup where he scored a blistering 143 off 125 deliveries to take Australia from a score of 56/4 to 310. From thereon, he averaged almost 45 in both Tests and ODI.
- Andrew Symonds holds the World record for hitting the most number of sixes in a first-class innings as he blosterd 16 sixes and a total no of 20 sixes combining both innings. His first innings score was 254 not out which he got against Glamorgan while playing for Gloucestershire.
|Hobbies: ||Playing Golf and Rugby |
|Favourite Batsmen: ||NA |
|Favourite Bowlers: ||NA |
|Favourite Cricket Ground: ||Brisbane, Gabba |
|Favourite sports Commentator: ||NA |
|Favourite Food: ||Thai Cuisine |
|Favourite Actors: ||NA |
|Favourite Films: ||NA |
|Favourite Musicians/Singers: ||NA |
|Favourite Destination: ||NA |
|Smoking/Alcohol: ||No/Yes |
|Style Quotient |
|Cars Collection: ||NA |
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children |
|Marital Status: ||Separated |
|Affairs/Girlfriends: ||Brooke Symonds |
|Wife/Spouse: ||Brooke Symonds (2004-2005) |
|Marriage Date: ||2004 |
|Children: ||Chloe Symonds (Daughter) |
|Net Worth: ||Around $10 Million |
|Retainer Fee: ||NA |
|Test Fee: ||NA |
|ODI Fee: ||NA |
|T20 Fee: ||NA |
|IPL 11: ||NA |
- He has been awarded as the One day International player of the year in 2005.
- Andrew Symonds was involved in a very ugly altercation in the home Test series against India. Harbhajan Singh the Indian off-spinner called him a ‘monkey' during the Sydney Test in 2008. The words were somehow racially offensive to Symonds and the controversy was a full-blooded one between the two.
- Andrew Symonds was dropped from the Australian side ahead of a tri-series game against Bangladesh at Cardiff. This was happened because of his excessive consumption of Alcohol the previous evening and he had breached the team's code of conduct and was also dropped for further two games and was imposed with a fine as well.
- Michael Clarke and Andrew Symonds were very close friends at one point of time. Clarke was very supportive at the time of his ‘Monkeygate' controversy, but things did not go well between the two after Clarke's rise to vice-captaincy and the infamous scene when Andrew Symonds was sent back home from an ODI series against Bangladesh in 2008. That was the time when Symonds decided to go fishing instead of attending the team meeting which turns out to be the most radical decision of his career as his image did not gel with the team.
- He has participated as a wild card entrant in the Indian reality show ‘Big Boss' in the fourth season.
- He was the highest paid overseas cricketer in the maiden IPL auction in the year 2008 when he was bought by Deccan Chargers Hyderabad for a whopping amount of USD 1.35 Million.
- He used to have cool dreadlocks look, but he decided to sacrifice that look and became bald. In an interview with SABC, he revealed that he shaved his dreadlocks for the charity of Leukaemia affected Children and the flying doctors.
- He has also represented Australia's under-19 in the year 1994.
- His nickname ‘Roy' was given after a basketball star ‘Leroy Loggins' who played for Brisbane and Andrew Symonds used to look like him.