IND vs SL ICC World Cup 2023: Wankhede Stadium Mumbai Pitch, Venue Stats, Record, Average Score
Updated on: Nov 1, 2023 2:10 pm IST
The iconic Wankhede is all set to host India and Sri Lanka once again on Thursday. The last time two sides played an ODI game here, India were crowned the World Champions.
India are on a roll in the ongoing ODI World Cup 2023 as they sit at the top of the points table with six wins in six matches. They have already qualified for the semifinals but need a win to confirm their spot. The Men in Blue will look to win another game to keep their streak going.
On the other hand, Sri Lanka are almost out of the semifinal race with two wins and four losses in six matches. They managed to stun England but lost to Afghanistan in their last match. It will be interesting to see how they will pick themselves against the mighty Indians.
In this post, we will take a look at the Wankhede Stadium Pitch, Venue Stats, Record, and Average Score ahead of the World Cup clash between India vs Sri Lanka.
Wankhede Stadium Stadium Pitch Report
It is a fantastic track to bat on. The wicket is likely to offer the pace and the bounce to the batters so that they can play their shots freely. There might be some spin for the spinners during the daytime but won’t trouble the batters much. The pacers are expected to get some swing with the new ball during the second innings under the lights. Nevertheless, it is expected to be a high-scoring game.
Is Wankhede Stadium a batting or a bowling pitch?
Last Three Results at the Venue
- South Africa (382/5 in 50 overs) defeated Bangladesh (233/10 in 46.3 overs) by 149 runs – 24 October 2023
- South Africa (399/7 in 50 overs) defeated England (170/10 in 22 overs) by 229 runs – 21 October 2023
- Australia (188/10 in 35.4 overs) lost to India (191/5 in 39.5 overs) by 5 wickets – 17 March 2023
It is a pure batting surface evident from the last two matches in the ongoing World Cup. The surface is hard with even pace and bounce, hence, the batters could play their shots through the line. The quick outfield also gives the batter the full value for their shots.
India ODI record in Wankhede Stadium
India have played 20 ODIs at this venue. They have won 11 and lost 9 games here.
India’s Highest Total at the venue: 299/4 in 40 overs vs Sri Lanka in 1987
India’s Lowest Total at the venue: 165/10 in 48.5 overs vs West Indies in 1989
Sri Lanka ODI record in Wankhede Stadium
Sri Lanka have played five ODI matches at this venue. They have won two and lost three matches.
Sri Lanka’s Highest Total at the venue: 289/7 in 40 overs vs India in 1987
Sri Lanka’s Lowest Total at the venue: 222/10 in 50 overs vs West Indies in 1993
Wankhede Stadium Ground Info
Seating Capacity: 33000
Number of matches hosted: 26 Tests, 25 ODIs, and 8 T20Is
Wankhede Stadium ODI Stats and Records
Total Matches Played: 25
Home Team (India) Won: 11
Visiting Team Won: 9
Neutral Side Won: 5
No Result: 0
Match Tied: 0
Average 1st Innings Score: 256
Matches Won Batting 1st: 13
Matches Won Batting 2nd: 12
Highest Team Total: 438/4 by South Africa vs India in 2015
Lowest Team Total: 115/10 by Bangladesh vs India in 1998
Highest Run Chase: 284/4 by New Zealand vs India in 2017
Highest Individual Score: 174 by Quinton de Kock (South Africa) vs Bangladesh in 2023
Best Bowling Figures: 6/27 by Murali Kartik (India) vs Australia in 2007
Most Runs: Sachin Tendulkar (India) – 455 runs in 11 matches
Most Wickets: Venkatesh Prasad (India) – 15 wickets in 6 matches
Most Sixes in ODIs at this venue: Heinrich Klassen (South Africa) – 12 Sixes
India Players at Wankhede Stadium
- Virat Kohli – 269 runs in 6 matches
- KL Rahul – 122 runs in 2 matches
- Ravindra Jadeja – 70 runs and 4 wickets in 3 matches
- Rohit Sharma – 46 runs in 3 matches
- Shubman Gill – 20 runs in 1 match
- Mohammed Siraj – 3 wickets in 1 match
- Mohammed Shami – 3 wickets in 2 matches
- Kuldeep Yadav – 2 wickets in 1 match
- Jasprit Bumrah – 1 wicket in 2 matches
Sri Lanka Players at Wankhede Stadium
- Angelo Matthews – 41 runs and 1 wicket in 1 match
most runs at Wankhede Stadium (Active Players)
- Quinton de Kock (South Africa) – 287 runs in 3 matches
- Virat Kohli (India) – 269 runs in 6 matches
- Heinrich Klaasen (South Africa) – 199 runs in 2 matches
most wickets at Wankhede Stadium (Active Players)
- Kagiso Rabada (South Africa) – 7 wickets in 3 matches
- Tim Southee (New Zealand) – 7 wickets in 3 matches
- Gerald Coetzee (South Africa) – 6 wickets in 2 matches
Never miss an update, visit Google News & FOLLOW US.