Australia’s 2-0 success in the Twenty 20 series surprised several cricket enthusiasts. What will beating India in the ODI format would attract? Australia are World Champions but are not a winning ODI team at the moment, while India are one of the best in the world if not the best.
The tourists pack a punch. Yes, in in-form Glenn Maxwell and Aaron Finch the Aussie have two white-ball cricketers who can decimate the best of bowling attacks. Plus, there are others who can turn up the heat.
The key man, for India, is skipper Virat Kohli. The best batsmen in the world, averaging 50+ across formats, can bring down the wrath upon the best of bowling attacks. If he gets in the mood, there would be no stopping India. However, better if the Indian skipper gets a little help of Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Kuldeep Yadav and Jasprit Bumrah to deal with the tourists.
When? 2 March at 1:30 PM IST
Where? Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad
Pitch conditions? The average first innings score at the venue is 286. There should be no dearth of runs.
India Team News: MS Dhoni has sustained an injury on his right forearm during a net session and is a doubt for the game.
Australia Team News: Shaun Marsh is unavailable for selection. Aussie skipper Aaron Finch has confirmed Alex Carey will keep the wickets for Australia.
Playing 11 update at toss
Team 1, 2: Virat Kohli + Shikhar Dhawan/Rohit Sharma flatten Aussie attack
– In all likelihood, Virat Kohli can combine with Dhawan or Rohit to decimate Aussie attack.
– Choose Kohli captain and Dhawan/Rohit vice-captain.
Team 3, 4: Aussie openers rule the roost
– For the quality of Aaron Finch and Usman Khawaja, a big inning is around the corner. The wait could be the occasion.
– Choose them captain.
Team 5, 6: Other match-winners
– The likes of Glen Maxwell, KL Rahul, Peter Handscomb and Marcus Stoinis are decent bets.
– Punt on the aforementioned players.