Sydney, January 12 at 7:50 AM IST
India, ranked 2nd on ICC ODI Team Rankings, would look shift focus to 50-over format after a first successful Test series Down Under. The Men in Blue have only two series defeats out of 11 in the last two years but they would be keen on closing the gap with top-ranked England to be deemed the best ODI team in the world.
Australia, on the other hand, have reacted to Test series loss with a major reshuffle in the 50-over format. The Aussie have shown the door to Chris Lynn, Travis Head and D’Arcy Short, entrusting Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb and Mitchell Marsh to form the middle order.
Both the sides are not full strength, with regular pacers getting rest after the gruelling Test series. If Aussie batting comes to the party, it could well be even stevens.
Australia Team News: Australia have announced their XI for the first ODI.
India Team News: As per the reports, Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul will not be considered for selection for the first match after controversial comments on a TV show.
India Playing 11 (probable): Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli (capt), Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (WK), Kedar Jadhav, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal/Khaleel Ahmed, Mohammed Shami
Australia Playing 11: Aaron Finch (c), Alex Carey (wk), Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Marcus Stoinis, Glenn Maxwell, Nathan Lyon, Peter Siddle, Richardson Behrendorff
Team 1, 2, 3: Run-riot from India’s top-3
– Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli are all among the top 10 batsmen in the ICC ODI batsmen rankings. They are quite likely to run a riot with the bat
– Pick them as captain
Team 4, 5, 6: Aussie batting delivers
– Going by the book, the likes of Usman Khawaja, Aaron Finch and Shaun Marsh are not the top batsmen for the clash. But, they are all capable batsmen.
– Punt on them, make them captain.
Team 7, 8, 9: X-factor comes to the party
– You can’t write off the likes of Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis and Kuldeep Yadav.
– Choosing them the captain of your fantasy team can help you win big.