(Sri Lankan Cricketer)
The youngest Sri Lankan to lead his side, Angelo Matthews for his precocious talent and a calm demeanour has been a vital cog of Sri Lanka’s fledgeling side for a better part of the last ten years.
Matthews made all the right noises in the debut First-Class season back in 2007-08 as he racked up 696 runs at an average of 58 for the Colts and was eventually drafted in the senior side against Zimbabwe in the same year.
One of the many qualities of Matthews over the years is his ability to adapt to adverse situations; his astounding 77 not-out to take Sri Lanks out from a hopeless situation of 8-107 in pursuit of Australia’s 239 or his match0winning hundred against Leads to hand Sri Lanka a famous series win on the English isles bore testimony to the aforementioned fact.
With the likes of Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara retiring, Sri Lankan cricket experiences a downward spiral post the 2015 World Cup. Things came to a head when the island nation lost the ODI series to Zimbabwe (2-3) forcing Matthews to give up the captaincy.
However, after playing musical chairs with the leadership position and Sri Lanka floundered to the eight spot in ICC ODI rankings, Matthews was re-appointed as skipper and is currently leading the side in Asia Cup in the UAE.
|Profession:||Sri Lankan Cricketer (All-rounder)|
|Weight (approx.):||74 kg|
|Date of Birth:||June 2, 1987|
|Age (as on 2018):||31 years|
|Birth Place:||Colombo,Sri Lanka|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Gemini|
|College||St. Joseph’s College, Colombo|
|Address:||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Test:||July 4, 2009, vs Pakistan at Galle|
|ODI:||November 28, 2008, vs Zimbabwe at Harare|
|T201:||June 08, 2009, vs Australia at Trent Bridge, Nottingham|
|Jersey Number:||#69 (Sri Lanka)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Sri Lanka|
|Nature on the field:||Calm|
|Likes to Play against:|
|Favourite stroke||Pull Shot|
|Career Turning Point|
- Matthews had a stellar First-Class season in 2008-09 where he racked up 696 runs at an average of 58 that led to his inclusion in the Sri Lanka ‘A’ side and subsequent performances in South Africa (99) paved his debut for the national side in November, 2008.
|Favourite Football Team:||N/A|
|Favourite sports personalities:||N/A|
|Favourite Food:||Chicken, Sri Lankan Samosa|
|Favourite TV Shows:||NA|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Awards and recognitions|
- In Novemver, 2010, Mathews was involved in a reciord 132-run partnership for the ninth wicket with Lasith Malinga, of which Mathews scored 77.
- Under his leadership, Sri Lanka had a stellar 2014 in the 50-over format of the game. The team recorded 20 wins out of 32 matches with a winning percentage of 62.50.
- Mathews holds the record of scoring the fastest fifty by a Sri Lankan in World Cup cricket. The all-rounder scored a whirlwind half-century off just 20 balls against Scotland in the 2015 showpiece event.
- Mathews is only the fourth Sri Lankan to complete a double of 100 ODI wickets and more than 3000 runs.
- He was named one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 2015.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Mathews, at 25, became the youngest Sri Lankan to captain the Test team.
- Mathews has played for three IPL sides in Pune Warriors India and Delhi Daredevils and Kolkata Knight Riders’.