(Former Indian Cricketer)
Right arm leg spinner, Anil Kumble is a former Indian cricketer who was born on 17 October 1970 in Bengaluru, India. Nicknamed as ‘Jumbo’, Kumble is the third highest wicket taker in test history. In his 18 years long carrer, Anil Kumble has bagged 619 wickets in total.
In 1999, Kumble dismissed all ten batsmen in a single innings of a test match against Pakistan. He is the only second player after Jim Laker to do so. Kumble made his first class debut at the age of 19 and represented Karnataka at domestic level.
Padma Shri awardee, Kumble played for 18 years before he hung up his boot in November 2008. In 2012, he was also appointed the chairman of ICC.
|Profession:||Former cricketer, mentor|
|Height (approx.):||1.85 m|
|Date of Birth:||17 October 1970|
|Age (as on 2018):||47|
|Birth Place:||Bengaluru, Mysore State, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Libra|
|School:||Holy Saint English School|
|College:||National College Basavanagudi|
Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering
|Educational Qualifications:||B.E. in Mechanical Engineering|
|Test:||vs England on 09 August 1990|
|ODI:||vs Australia on 25 April 1990|
|Jersey Number:||37 (IPL)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Karnataka, Surrey, Liecestershire, Northamptonshire and Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|Nature on the field:||Calm, composed|
|Likes to play against:||NA|
|Favorite Ball:||Googly and Flipper|
|Career Turning Point|
1992, India toured South Africa. Kumble took 8 wickets in the second test and grabbed 18 wickets in total in 4 test matches.
|Favourite Football Team:||NA|
|Favourite sports personalities:||NA|
|Favourite Place on earth:||NA|
|Favourite TV Shows:||NA|
|In International cricket:|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Children:||3 (1 boy -Mayas Kumble|
2 girls – Svasti Kumble and Aaruni Kumble)
|Net Worth:||Not known|
|Awards and Recognitions|
- Anil Kumble became an Arjuna Awardee in 1995
- In 1996 he was chosen in Wisden Cricketers of the Year
- In 2005, Anil Kumble was awarded with Padma Shri
- In 2009 IPL, Kumble took 5 for 5 against Rajasthan Royals and was awarded “Best breakthrough performance in IPL 2009”
- In 2015, Anil Kumble was inducted into ICC Cricket Hall of Fame
- It is said that Anil Kumble and Skipper Virat Kohli had differences in their styles which led to Kumble’s stepping down from the role of a head coach of the national team.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Anil Kumble got his nick name “Jumbo” from his teammates who believed being a spinner, he bowls as fast as a jumbo jet and also because his feet are quite big.
- Kumble fell in love with Chetna who was a travel agent and married and had a daughter too. She was struggling with her marital life when she met Kumble and later in 1999 Chetna gave divorce to her husband and married Anil.
- Kumble had to fight a legal battle to adopt Chetna’s already child – Aaruni Kumble.
- In July 2016, Anil Kumble took the responsibility of Indian national team as a head coach. However, 1 year later, he stepped down from the post because of his alleged differences with Indian Skipper Virat Kohli
- In 2002 Antigua Test against West Indies, Kumble bowled with a broken jaw and took the wicket of Brian Lara.