Separamandu Lasith Malinga Swarnajith
(Sri Lankan Cricketer)
Nicknamed “Slinga Malinga”, “Malinga the Slinga”, Lasith Malinga the curly hair assasin, who can bowl yorkers at will which can clock around 140-145 kmph has always been a lethal armoury for any team he plays. He burst into the Sri Lankan scene when he bowled consistent yorkers to the Sri Lankan batsmen on the nets as a practice bowler. None of the batsmen were ready to face his sling action, it was Aravinda de Silva who was the first one to bat against him in the nets. He has many accolades to his name which includes him being the only bowler to take two World Cup hat-tricks and claiming 4 wickets in 4 consecutive balls.
|Nickname:||Kagawena, Slinga, Slinga Malinga|
|Height (approx.):||170 cm|
|Weight (approx.):||75 kg|
|Eye Colour:||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour:||Black (Dyed- Golden Brown)|
|Tattoos:||On both arms|
|Date of Birth:||28th August 1983|
|Age (as on 2018):||34 years|
|Birth Place:||Galle, Sri Lanka|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Virgo|
|School:||Vidyathilake, Vidyalaya, Thirangama|
Vidyaloka College, Galle
|College:||Mahinda College, Galle|
|Coach/Mentor:||Champaka Ramanayake (Former SL cricketer)|
|Address:||Galle, Sri Lanka|
|Test:||1st July 2004 vs Australia at Marara Cricket Ground|
|ODI:||17th July 2004 vs UAE at Dambulla|
|T20:||15th June 2006 vs England at Rose Bowl|
|Jersey Number:||#99 (International, IPL, County)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Mumbai Indians, Middlesex, Ruhuna Royals, Melbourne Stars, Ruhuna Reds, Guyana Amazon Warriors, Jamaica Tallawahs, Montreal Tigers|
|Nature on field:||Aggressive|
|Likes to play against:||NA|
|Favourite Shot/Ball:||Toe crushing yorker|
- He is the only player in the cricketing history to have taken 4 wickets in 4 consecutive balls against South Africa in 2007.
- Malinga is the second highest wicket-taker in T20 format both domestic and international combined with 311 scalps in 227 matches till date.
- Malinga is the first and the only bowler till now to take 3 hat-tricks in ODI’s.
- He is the only player in the world to take 2 world cup hat-tricks. The first one came against South Africa in 2007 while the second one came against Kenya in the 2011 edition.
- When he retired from Test cricket in 2011 in order to prolong his ODI and T20 career, there has been some disputes and miscommunications between him and the Sri Lankan cricket board. The board stated that he does not care about the fate of his nation and instead concerned only with the earnings which he makes from playing cash-rich leagues around the world.
|Hobbies:||Playing cricket and listening to music|
|Favourite Batsmen:||Aravinda de Silva|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||NA|
|Favourite sports personalities:||NA|
|Favourite Actors/ Actresses:||NA|
|Smoking/Alcohol:||Smoking: No, Alcohol: Yes|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Marriage Date:||22nd January 2010|
|Children:||A daughter and a son|
|Net Worth:||$ 8 Million|
|IPL 11:||Did not played|
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Lasith hails from a small village Rathgama near Galle in Sri Lanka.
- Former cricketer Chamapaka Ramanayake who also tends to be his coach/mentor spotted Malinga’s bowling in a street and from there on we all know what is Malinga’s mettle around the world.
- Malinga made his first-class debut at the age of 17 for the Galle cricket club and he made 8 scalps to his name.
- He did not played with a leather ball until the age of 17. He used to play with a softball instead.
- It was Aravinda de Silva who first batted against him at the nets. Malinga made his debut in the year 2001 but he was asked to bowl at the nets against the Sri Lankan international team. None of the batsmen was ready to face him because of his lethal sling action that is when Aravinda de Silva decided to step up and face him at the nets.
- In 2005, New Zealand skipper Stephen Fleming asked the on-field umpires to remove their ties as it was difficult for the batsman to spot the ball from Malinga’s hand due to his sling action.
- He has a superstition, he always kisses the ball before running to deliver.
- In his debut test match against Australia in the year 2004, he claimed 6 wickets in tough Australian conditions.
- Malinga was once named as the sexiest cricketer by a Barbados magazine named ‘Easy’.
- Malinga is the only bowler to grab 4 wickets in 4 successive deliveries in an ODI against South Africa.