(Former Indian Cricketer)
One of the most succesful left-arm seamer in Indian cricket Zaheer Khan was born in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra. He was one of those bowlers who had got the ability to swing the ball both ways. His impact with the old ball was as similar to the impact he had while bowling with a new ball. He was a master in reverse swing due to which he ended up as the joint highest wicket taker for India in the 2011 World Cuip and played an important ro;e in lifting up the coveted trophy for the second time. He ended up with 610 International wickets to his name and is also the second highest wicket taker in Tests as a fast bowler for India after Kapil Dev.
|Nickname:||Zak and Zippy|
|Profession:||Former Indian Cricketer, A Cricket commentator now|
|Height (approx.):||6 Feet|
|Weight (approx.):||78 kgs|
|Date of Birth:||7th October 1978|
|Age (as on 2018):||40 years|
|Birth Place:||Shrirampur Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Libra|
|School:||Hind Seva Mandal’s New Marathi Primary School, Shrirampur|
KJ Somaiyya Secondary School, Shrirampur
|Educational Qualifications:||High School Graduate|
|Father:||Bhaktiyar Khan (Photographer)|
|Mother:||Zakia Khan (Teacher)|
|Brother:||Zeeshan Khan (Elder), Anees Khan (Younger)|
|Test:||10th November 2000 vs Bangladesh, Dhaka|
|ODI:||3rd October 2000 vs Kenya, Nairobi|
|T20:||1st December 2006 vs South Africa, Johannesburg|
|Jersey Number:||#34 (India, IPL)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Asia XI. Baroda, Mumbai, Delhi, Delhi Daredevils, Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Worcestershire, Surrey|
|Nature on field:||Aggressive|
|Likes to play against:||Australia and England|
|Career Turning Point|
- His performance in the 2003 World Cup
- He has got 44 World Cup wickets which is the highest for any Indian bowler and the fifth highest overall.
- He has got the highest Test score by a number 11 batsman of 75 runs vs Bangladesh until Tino Best bettered it in 2012.
- He has taken a total of eleven 5-fers in Test Match cricket out of which eight have come outside India.
- In his debut county game for Worcestershire, Zaheer scalped 10 wickets.
- Former South African skipper Graeme Smith has been dismissed 13 times by Zaheer Khan which is the most by any bowler.
- A total tally of 610 international wickets are there to his name which includes 311 in Tests, 282 in ODIs and 17 in T20Is.
- Zaheer’s tally of 311 wickets in Test is the fourth highest by an Indian bowler.
|Hobbies:||Reading and Travelling|
|Favourite Batsmen:||Sachin Tendulkar and Sir Vivian Richards|
|Favourite Bowlers:||Wasim Akram|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai|
|Favourite sportsmen:||Roger Federer|
|Favourite Food:||Mutton Biryani|
|Favourite Actors:||Amitabh Bachchan and Amir Khan|
|Cars Collection:||Hyundai, Nissan, Audi etc.|
|Net Worth:||$10 Million|
|Awards and recognitions|
- Wisden Cricketer of the year 2008.
- In the year 2011, he won the coveted Arjuna Award
- Tamil Nadu Police lodged a complaint against Zaheer Khan in the year 2008 after he was involved in an argument with guards at the team hotel for breaching the security guidelines.
- In the 2007 India’s tour to England, Zaheer Khan was involved in the jelly beans incident with the English side as he accused that some of their fielders from behind the stumps were throwing some jelly beans near to the crease again and again.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- He hails from Maharashtra but he started playing first-class cricket for Baroda.
- At the tender age of 17, his father discovered the bowling talent in him and took him to Mumbai for further training.
- He has been a nightmare for left-hander batmen as is the 3rd highest wicket taker of left-handed batsmen with 237 wickets to his name.
- He has represented English county Surrey in the year 2014 and later he went to represent Worcestershire.
- He owns a restaurant in Pune called ZK’s and also has a rehab and training centre in Mumbai called Pro Sports Fitness and Services.
- In his early cricketing career, he was afraid of travelling by aircraft.
- His coach suggested him to take up cricket for good, otherwise, he was going to join the Mechanical Engineering course.
- He was appointed as the skipper of Delhi Daredevils in the 2016 edition of IPL.