PSG vs Real Madrid
UEFA Champions League
PSG VS RM MATCH PREVIEW:
The notion that history plays its part in UEFA Champions League matches got another backing when PSG visited Santiago Bernabeu for the 1st leg of the last-16 to face Real Madrid.
The Parisians headed into that match as hot-favorites considering Unai Emery’s men lost only once in the last 15 matches, winning the other 14 games in that process.
Real Madrid, on the other hand, endured some indifferent form throughout this season and their weak surrender in La Liga has become quite an enigma for football fans and pundits alike.
Things were going according to plan for the visitors when Adrien Rabiot netted the first goal, handing the mighty PSG a clear advantage on the virtue of an away goal.
But the 12-times champions scripted a marvelous comeback. The home fans and all the experience of winning this continental trophy a record 12-time played their parts and the Los Blancos ended up winning the 1st leg 3-1 at the Bernabeu.
When: March 7th, 1:15 AM IST
Where: Parc des Princes, Paris
Recent wins (Last six matches)
PSG – W L W W W W
Real Madrid – W W W W L W
PSG VS RM TEAM NEWS:
Unai Emery announced a 21-man team for this crucial match against the defending Champions. The only notable absentee is their €222 million superstar Neymar who suffered a sprained ankle and a fractured metatarsal against Marseille.
Areola (GK), Alves, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, Kurzawa; Verratti, Rabiot, Lo Celso; Di Maria, Mbappe, Cavani
Luka Modric and Toni Kroos carry some knocks but have been included in the matchday squad by Zinedine Zidane as is Cristiano Ronaldo, who was seen putting ice on his calf during the weekend clash against Getafe in La Liga.
But all these aforementioned players are expected to start in this season-defining fixture against PSG.
Navas (GK), Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo; Casemiro, Modric, Asensio, Bale; Ronaldo, Benzeman.
PSG- 0 Titles
Real Madrid- 12 Titles, 1955-56, 1956-57, 1957-58, 1958-59, 1959-60, 1965-66, 1997-98, 1999-2000, 2001-2002, 2013-2014, 2015-2016, 2016-2017.
Head 2 Head- 7 meetings in official matches
PSG- 2 wins
Real Madrid- 4 wins
PSG – Cavani, Mbappe, Verratti
Real Madrid – Ronaldo, Kroos, Modric
Some key stats:
- Cristiano Ronaldo is averaging a goal every 57 minutes in the Champions League this season, a big reason why everybody should include this five-time Ballon d’Or winner in their fantasy squad.
- No team has even managed a draw at the intimidating Parc des Princes this season. Also considering that the Parisians have suffered only one defeat in their last 46 European matches at home, Madrid may very well find themselves on the wrong end.
- Of the last 12 knockout games, only four games have witnessed a team overturning a 3-1 deficit from the first leg. A reason for Madrid fans to make a trip to Paris-
- Madrid are the super-power in this competition. No team has won more titles than Madrid’s 12 and the Los Blancos’ current run of 7 consecutive appearances in the semi-finals is an enviable record too.
- Karim Benzema will be making his 100th Champions League appearance if he plays a part in this game.
INDIA FANTASY PREDICTION:
Our bet is on the home team for this game, considering PSG will be playing at Parc des Princes. But Madrid possesses too much potency in their attack, and we are backing Zidane’s men to score an away goal.
So our prediction is 2-1 win for the home team, and Madrid qualify for the quarterfinals on aggregate goals.
NOTE: THIS PSG VS RM MATCH PREVIEW IS BASED ON OUR RESEARCH AND UNDERSTANDING FROM VARIOUS NEWS SOURCES. YOU CAN SELECT YOUR OWN PLAYING 11 ON THE BASIS OF TEAM NEWS.