Australian cricketers Steve Smith, Cameron Bancroft and David Warner have come under crossfire after admitting to the ball-tampering in the third test against South Africa.
Steve Smith, Australia captain and David Warner, vice-captain have stepped down from their roles and have been punished by the ICC (International Cricket Council).
Meanwhile, ICC has slapped Smith with a one-match suspension and has fined his entire match fees on Sunday. Cameron Bancroft has been fined with 75 percent of his match fees.
However, the troubles for controversy-ridden Aussies, are far from being over. Under Cricket Australia’s code of conduct, Smith and Warner may face severe punishment ranging up to a life ban for violating the norms of cricket.
Let’s have a look at top 6 developments in the Steve Smith ball-tampering controversy that has left the cricket fraternity aghast:
#1 Steve Smith decides to step down from captaincy:
Embroiled in the ball-tampering controversy, Steven Smith stepped down as the skipper of Australia cricket team for the remainder of the Test series against South Africa.
#2 Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull reacts to the controversy:
Aussie Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has condemned the incident calling it ‘beggar belief’.
“We all woke up this morning bitterly disappointed by the news from South Africa,” Turnbull told reporters in Australia.
He said that it was really hard to believe that Australian cricket team had been involving in cheating and called for Cricket Australia to take appropriate steps.
#3 David Warner also steps down:
David Warner, vice-captain of Australia cricket team also stepped down in the wake of the ball-tampering controversy.
“Following discussions with Steve Smith and David Warner, they both have decided to step down as captain and vice-captain, respectively,” said James Sutherland, CEO Cricket Australia.
“We understand that Cricket Australia and cricket fans expect a certain standard of code of conduct from cricketers who represent our nation, and on these occasions, the standards have not been met,” he added.
#4 ICC punishes Smith and Bancroft
After Steve Smith confessed the ball-tempering conspiracy in South Africa, the ICC punished Steve Smith with a one-match suspension and fined his entire match fee.
Cameron Brancoft has been fined 75 percent of the match fees and ICC handed over three demerit points to Bancroft for breaching the Level 2 ICC Code of Conduct for players.
— Armand Aspeling (@ArmandAspeling) March 24, 2018
#5 Harbhajan Singh criticizes ICC for its decision:
Harbhajan Singh took to Twitter to react to the ball-tampering controversy and alleged ICC of discrimination.
wow @ICC wow. Great treatment nd FairPlay. No ban for Bancroft with all the evidences whereas 6 of us were banned for excessive appealing in South Africa 2001 without any evidence and Remember Sydney 2008? Not found guilty and banned for 3 matches.different people different rules
— Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) March 25, 2018
For those who want life ban on Smith- Faf du Plessis was found guilty of ball tampering twice. 1st time in 2013, he was fined 50% of his match fee. 2nd time in 2016, he was fined 100% of his match fee & demerit points. Following month he was made captain.
— Sanjay Manjrekar (@sanjaymanjrekar) March 26, 2018
ICC bans 18 year old Mohd Amir for 5 years after he was found guilty of bowling deliberate no-balls to throw a match
ICC bans 28 year old Steve Smith for 1 match after he admitted to making and implementing a plan to tamper with the ball to win a Test match
— omar r quraishi (@omar_quraishi) March 25, 2018
1 Match Ban & 100 % March fee Fine for Smith #ffs … 75% match fee fine for Bancroft and some bloody De merit points for Bancroft … Pathetic penalties for CHEATING … Surely this moment was the time to set a precedent … !!?? All the team should be penalised ..
— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) March 25, 2018
A little birdie tells me that the weak ICC punishment isn’t anywhere near what Cricket Australia is thinking….
— Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) March 25, 2018
#6 IPL plays waiting game:
When Rajiv Shukla, chairman of IPL was asked about the matter and their fate in the IPL; he said, “The BCCI and Rajasthan Royals would like to wait and see where the whole matter goes.”
The administrator also added that they were seriously concerned about the incident.