Post-Tendulkar era, no cricketer in the world has drawn more acclaim for his incredible run-scoring ability than Virat Kohli. Piling hundreds at an astonishing rate, Kohli has owned the 50-over format if not all.
The Indian captain and Royal Challenger Bangalore star boast an extraordinary set of athletic skills that complement his cricketing abilities. He was not born with the ripped physique, what we see today is a marked transformation from a chubby teen that burst on the International cricket scene after leading India to ICC Under 19 World Cup triumph in 2008.
Team India captain Virat Kohli is one of the most athletic players in cricket scene today. How did he reach this condition? What’s the secret behind the Indian stalwart’s incredible fitness?
What does Virat Kohli eat throughout the day?
- An omelette, three egg whites, one whole egg, spinach with black pepper and cheese
- Grilled bacon or smoked salmon with it
- Papaya, dragonfruit or watermelon
- Gluten-free bread with fat-free butter
- 3-4 cups of green tea with lemon
- Grilled chicken and mashed potatoes, spinach and veggies
- Red meat (when trainer asks to put on a bit of a muscle)
- Greens as sides
- Protein shakes with carbs
Virat only drinks the bottled mineral water of France-based brand Evian to fend off the risk of water-borne diseases.
Favourite Cheat Food: Butter Chicken and Chole Bhature
How does Virat Kohli train?
Kohli hits the gym 5 times a week, sometimes 6. In all his training sessions, Kohli does a combination of cardio and weights. After former fitness coach of Indian cricket team Shankar Basu introduced Kohli to weightlifting, he regularly engages in leg workouts for explosive power. 100 squats is also a part of Kohli’s training session.
Kohli loves to add high-tech gadgets to improve his workout routine. He is seen sporting a high-altitude mask to improve workout efficiency and energy levels. Kohli also owns Tecnoshaper, a fitness equipment that helps one work on the abdominals by helping in fat loss and providing a defined waist.
How this diet and workout helps Virat Kohli?
- Virat Kohli has revealed that he has become faster between the wickets and added agility in his fielding since following a diet regimen.
- Cardio sessions have helped Kohli bolster his stamina while regular workout schedule has helped him focus better and stay alert on the field.
When did it all change for Virat Kohli?
It all changed for Virat in 2012. He had a good run Down Under and scored big against Bangladesh, but struggled throughout the IPL season.
“My training was horrible, I ate so bad, I was up until late, I was having a drink or two regularly. It was a horrible mindset. The season ended and I was so thankful it was over. I went home, came out of the shower one day and looked at myself in the mirror and said ‘you can’t look like this if you want to be a professional cricketer.’ I was 11 or 12kgs heavier than I am now, I was really chubby. I changed everything from the next morning from what I eat to how I train. I was in the gym for an hour-and-a-half every day, working really hard, off gluten, off wheat, no cold drinks, no desserts, nothing. It was tough.”
– Virat Kohli, on his struggles in IPL 2018 season
It takes a lot to become one of the fittest athletes in the world. Sure, there is a takeaway for us all from this incredible sportsman of our times.