The Sri Lanka cricket has been involved in a controversy around its lead players. The players who are playing the series against England at present had earlier refused to play due to the disagreements with the board regarding the contracts. The players wanted a complete transparency about the method used to calculate the contracts. The cricketers agreed to tour England when the board agreed to give transparency. But, it has been reported that the 5 players refused to sign contract ahead of limited-overs series against India.
After a disappointing performance against England in the limited-overs series, there have been reports if the Sri Lanka national team players refuse to sign a central contract, they will not be able to be a part of the series against India. The Chairman of Selectors and CEO of Sri Lanka Cricket gave an update about the team setup for the series.
“These players are currently practising and playing matches and we will consider them for selection for the Indian series. We have still not selected the squad for the series with India, we will do that after Sunday’s third and final ODI against England,” said Chairman of Selectors Pramodya Wickramasinghe.
“The Executive Committee on the advice of the Technical and Advisory Committee will have to decide whether the players will have to sign a tour contract. Probably that is the only option left because we are not going ahead with voluntary declaration forms anymore,” said CEO of SLC – Ashley de Silva.
The 5 players, Vishwa Fernando, Lahiru Kumara, Lasith Embuldeniya, Ashen Bandara and Kasun Rajitha have reportedly refused to sign a central contract ahead of the series against India.
“These five were offered a tour contract. That is when you participate they will also be considered for national selection for the Indian tour. If they sign the tour agreement before the commencement of training for the Indian tour the selectors will consider them,” said De Silva.
For more cricket news, click here