The Kolkata Knight Riders have been an average side in the Indian Premier League after the exit of Gautam Gambhir as the leader. The wicketkeeper batsman Dinesh Karthik was appointed the KKR captain in 2018, and managed to go through the playoffs, But in 2020, he gave away the captaincy to England batter Eoin Morgan who has tried hard to lead the team well. In the 2021 season, the team has been able to win only 2 out of 7 matches on the back of bad batting performances.
The Kolkata Knight Riders team management and fans will be elated after the Kiwi fast bowler Tim Southee who holds a heaps of experience across all the formats is added to the squad for the remainder of the IPL season. This replacement is due to the Australian fast bowler’s Pat Cummins unavailability as he is expecting his first child.
Tim Southee has featured in 7 seasons of Indian Premier League, and last played in 2019 for Royal Challengers Bangalore. In 40 matches, he has picked up 28 wickets at an economy of 8.73. He will join the country’s young pacer, Lockie Ferguson, top-order batter Tim Seifert in the KKR squad.
There has been only 1 change in the KKR’s overseas players, Tim Southee replaces Pat Cummins.
1) Sunil Narine: The West Indies spinner will be coming into this tournament after an appearance in the CPL.
2) Tim Seifert: The New Zealand batter has been consistent in scoring runs in international cricuit and might get opportunity this time in the IPL 2021.
3) Shakib Al Hasan: The Bangladesh all-rounder would look to improve his performances in the second phase.
4) Lockie Ferguson: The premier pace bowler has been performing well all over the world and will be a vital player.
5) Andre Russell: The fierce striker of the ball has been the backbone of the team in crucial situations and can again play an important role.
6) Eoin Morgan: The captain has not found out his mojo in the KKR jersey and will need to come out of bad form and contribute to win it for the team.
For more IPL 2021 news, click here