KKR IPL Auction 2023: KKR have Built a Strong Team for the New Season
Updated on: Feb 27, 2023 3:38 pm IST
KKR IPL Auction 2023: The Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) made some exciting moves during the IPL 2023 auction to bolster their squad for the upcoming season. With a mix of young Indian talent and experienced international players, KKR is looking to build a strong team that can challenge for the title.
KKR has always been one of the most exciting teams in the IPL, known for their aggressive brand of cricket and star-studded line-up. Over the years, they have had some of the best players in the world, including Gautam Gambhir, Andre Russell, Sunil Narine, and Chris Lynn, among others.
However, the team has struggled to find consistency in recent seasons, finishing fifth and seventh in IPL 2021 and IPL 2022, respectively. As a result, KKR went into the IPL 2023 auction with a clear plan to address some of their weaknesses and add depth to their squad.
KKR IPL Auction 2023 Retained Players
Before the auction, KKR announced their list of retained players for IPL 2023. The list included some of the team’s biggest stars, including Shreyas Iyer, Sunil Narine, Andre Russell, and Nitish Rana, among others. KKR also made some shrewd trades, acquiring Shardul Thakur, Lockie Ferguson, and Rahmanullah Gurbaz from other teams.
|Player||IPL Salary (In INR)|
|Shreyas Iyer||12.25 Crore|
|Sunil Narine||6 Crore|
|Andre Russell||12 Crore|
|Umesh Yadav||2 Crore|
|Nitish Rana||8 Crore|
|Rinku Singh||55 Lakh|
|Venkatesh Iyer||8 Crore|
|Tim Southee||1.5 Crore|
|Varun Chakravarthy||8 Crore|
|Shardul Thakur (Traded from Delhi Capitals)||10.75 Crore|
|Lockie Ferguson (Traded from Gujarat Titans)||10 Crore|
|Rahmanullah Gurbaz (Traded from Gujarat Titans)||50 Lakh|
|Anukul Roy||20 Lakh|
|Harshit Rana||20 Lakh|
Also Read: Eden Garden Stadium capacity? Check out the seating capacity of KKR’s home ground
With such a strong core group of players already in place, KKR’s focus at the auction was to find the right mix of players to complement their retained stars.
KKR IPL 2023 Bought Players
KKR was very active in the IPL 2023 auction, making a total of seven buys. Here’s a look at the players they acquired and the amounts they paid for them:
- N. Jagadeesan (INR 90 lakh): The Tamil Nadu wicket-keeper batsman has been in excellent form in domestic cricket, scoring heavily in the recent Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. Jagadeesan is a versatile player who can open the batting or bat in the middle order, and his addition gives KKR more options in the top order.
- Vaibhav Arora (INR 60 lakh): The left-arm pacer from Delhi is a promising young talent who has been making waves in domestic cricket. Arora has a good yorker and can bowl at a decent pace, making him a useful addition to KKR’s bowling attack.
- Suyash Sharma (INR 20 lakh): The Jharkhand all-rounder is a handy lower-order batsman and a useful leg-spinner. Sharma has been impressive in the domestic circuit and has the potential to become a star in the IPL.
- David Wiese (INR 1 Crore): The South African all-rounder has played for several teams in the IPL, and his experience could prove invaluable for KKR. Wiese is a hard-hitting middle-order batsman and a wicket-taking bowler who can bowl at any stage of the innings.
- Kulwant Khejroliya (INR 20 lakh): The left-arm pacer from Delhi has played for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the past and has the ability to bowl at a good pace. Khejroliya has been inconsistent in the IPL but has the potential to become a match-winner on his day.
- Litton Das (INR 50 lakh): One interesting addition to KKR’s squad this year is Litton Das, a wicketkeeper-batsman from Bangladesh. Das was bought for INR 50 lakh and has been making waves in domestic cricket. He has the ability to score quickly and is also a reliable wicketkeeper, making him a valuable asset to the team.
- Shakib Al Hassan (INR 1.50 Crore): KKR also made a smart buy by acquiring Shakib Al Hasan for INR 1.5 crore. Shakib is a versatile all-rounder from Bangladesh who has played for KKR in the past. He can bowl left-arm spin, bat in the middle order, and is also an excellent fielder. His experience and skill make him a valuable addition to KKR’s squad.
- Mandeep Singh (INR 50 lakh): Veteran Punjab batter Mandeep Singh was a smart pick for KKR in this year’s auction. Mandeep played IPL 2022 for Delhi Capitals but he didn’t had a great season last time around.
Also Read: KKR full form IPL: How was Kolkata Knight Riders 2022 season? Check here
In conclusion, the KKR IPL auction for 2023 was a success, as they managed to acquire several talented players while also retaining key players from last year’s squad. With a well-balanced team and strong leadership, KKR will be a team to watch out for in the upcoming IPL season. Fans can look forward to some exciting cricket as KKR battles it out with other top teams for the coveted IPL trophy.