Abraham Benjamin de Villiers
(South African Cricketer)
Some people work their heart out to chase their dreams and do well in whatever endeavour they opt for but some are blessed with sheer talent, perseverance and abundance of hard work and undoubtedly AB is one of them. The one and only superman of World Cricket, Abraham Benjamin de Villiers is rated as one of the most engrossing talents of this generation and he is also a role model to both existing and upcoming cricketers. A batsman who has held numerous records in the game which includes the fastest 50, fastest century and fastest 150 in ODI a record which ie engrossed in the history books of the game. His class is obnoxious and his batting style is unorthodox which makes him one of the most dangerous batsmen of all time. The world though was in a real shock when AB de Villiers suddenly announced his retirement from international cricket on May 23, 2018, and therefore, he will now be eluded with the most prestigious trophy in his career which is none other than the ‘Cricket World Cup’.
|AB de Villiers|
|Nickname:||ABD, Mr. 360, The Superman|
|Autobiography:||AB: The Autobiography|
|Weight (approx.):||75 Kg|
|Hair Colour:||Golden Brown|
|Date of Birth:||17th February 1984|
|Age (as on 2018):||34 years|
|Birth Place:||Pretoria (South Africa)|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Aquarius|
|School:||Warmbaths Primary School, Bela-Bela|
Afrikaanse Hoer Seunskool (Afrikaans Boys High school), Pretoria
|Educational Qualifications:||High School graduate|
|Father:||Abraham B de Villiers|
|Mother:||Millie de Villiers|
|Brother:||Jan de Villiers (Elder), Wessels de Villiers (Elder)|
|Test:||17th December 2004 vs England|
|ODI:||2nd December 2005 Vs England|
|T20:||24th February 2006 Vs Australia|
|Jersey Number:||17 (International, IPL, Domestic)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Nashua Titans, Northerns, Delhi Daredevils, Barbados Tridents, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Africa XI|
|Nature on field:||Calm and composed|
|Likes to play against:||Australia and India|
|Favourite Shot:||Pull Shot|
• Ab de Villiers is the second youngest and second fastest South African to reach 1000 test runs, after Graeme Pollock.
• Holds the record for fastest 50, 100, 150 in One day cricket.
• Fastest to reach 7000 ODI runs.
• Holds the record for hitting maximum sixes in an ODI inning (16) alongside Rohit Sharma.
|Career Turning Point|
- His performance for Titans in the season 2003-04, after which he got a Test call-up against England at home.
|Favourite Batsmen:||Virat Kohli|
|Favourite Bowlers:||Gerrit Deist, Wasim Akram, Wasim Akram|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||SuperSport Park, Centurion, South Africa|
|Favourite sports personalities:||Roger Federer, Tiger Woods|
|Favourite Food:||Pasta, Sea food|
|Favourite Actors / Actresses:||Brad Pitt / Kate Beckinsale|
|Favourite Films:||Gladiator, A River Runs Through It|
|Favourite Tv shows:||The Voice SA|
|Favourite CAR:||BMW X5|
|Favourite Musicians/Singers:||Snow Patrol (Band)|
|Cars Collection:||Audi Q7, BMW X5|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Wife/Spouse:||Danielle de Villiers|
|Marriage Date:||30 March 2013|
|Children:||Abraham de Villiers Junior and John Richard de Villiers|
|Net Worth:||$20 Million|
|IPL 11:||Rs. 11 Crore or $2.21 Million|
- In April 2015, when AB de Villiers was the skipper of South Africa, an alleged quota controversy propelled after South Africa lost to New Zealand in the semi-finals of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015. South Africa’s high-performance coach Mike Horn admitted that the team management was forced to select Vernon Philander instead of the in-form speedster Kyle Abbot to fulfil the quota targets during the World Cup.
|Lesser Known Facts|
• Ab de Villiers used to play various sports apart from cricketer as a kid such as Badminton, Squash, Tennis, Hockey, Golf, Rugby7, Football, Squash etc.
• He used to be a prankster in the school and was even expelled from the school for his pranks.
• Ab de Villiers and Faf du Plessis have been best of friends since childhood.
• He made his SA debut at the age of 16 just after 20 First-class games.
• He is popularly known as Mr. 360 for his unorthodox style of batting where he scores run all around the park.
• In Sep 2016, he released his autobiography “AB: The autobiography” in English and Afrikaans.
• During his school days, he set an Under-9 breaststroke record and was a national NO. 1 in tennis in his age group.
• He could not stop his tears from coming out and cried on the field after South Africa was tamed in the semi-finals of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 against New Zealand in Wellington.
• On May 23, 2018, one of the most gentleman to ever play this game announced retirement from International cricket through a video message on his twitter handle, stating he is “tired” now. The cricket fans all around the globe were left in a dismay.