David Andrew Warner
After the retirement of Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden, Cricket Australia was in a search of an opener who can turn the tables and bat aggressively without any hassle. Their search finally ended up when they got David Andrew Warner into their ranks. An explosive left-hand batsman who was fit to don the role of a hard-hitting opening batsman alike Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden got his national call-up in the year 2009 against South Africa in a one-day international series at home. He is the first Australian cricketer in 132 years to feature in the Australian team without any first-class experience under his belt. He represented New South Wales and Sydney right after his selection in the national squad. He has also served as the vice-captain for Australia in both ODIs and Tests for a brief period of 3 years between 2015 to 2018.
|Nickname:||Lloyd, Mario, Bull, Canon, The Reverend, Pocket Size Dynamo|
|Weight (approx.):||65 Kg|
|Date of Birth:||27th October 1986|
|Age (as on 2018):||31 years|
|Birth Place:||Paddington, New South Wales, Australia|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Scorpio|
|School:||Matraville Public School, Hillsdale, New South Wales|
Randwick, New South Wales
|Educational Qualifications:||Year 12 Higher School Certificate|
|Father:||Howard Warner (Worked in heavy machinery shop)|
|Mother:||Lorraine Warner (Worked as nurse)|
|Brother:||Steven Warner (Elder)|
|Address:||A mansion in Mermaid Avenue, Maroubra, New South Wales|
|Test:||1st Dec 2011 vs New Zealand at Brisbane|
|ODI:||18 Jan vs South Africa at Hobart|
|T20:||11 Jan 2011 vs South Africa at Melbourne|
|Jersey Number:||31 (International, IPL, County)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Delhi Daredevils, Durham, Middlesex, New South Wales, Northern Districts, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Sydney Thunders, Winnipeg Hawks|
|Nature on field:||Aggressive|
|Likes to play against:||India and England|
|Favourite Shot:||Pull Shot|
- In 2009, he became the first player in 132 years to feature in a national team in any format without making his first class debut.
- In 2009, he became the second player on the list of most ODI centuries in a calendar year.
- He enumerated 7 tons in the year 2016 and matched the record of Sourav Ganguly (In the year 200). Only Sachin Tendulkar with 9 tons in the year 1998 was ahead of him.
- In 2017, he became the fastest Australian and 3rd fastest cricketer overall to score 4000 ODI runs, equalling Virat Kohli’s record.
- In the 2017 edition of IPL, he became the first Sunrisers Hyderabad batsman to score a ton in the history of the tournament.
- David Warner and Shikhar Dhawan are the first opening pair to score more than 2000 runs in the IPL.
- In the calendar year 2016, he was the highest run getter in ODI’s with a tally of 1388 runs in 23 matches at an average of 63.
|Career Turning Point|
- In 2008, when he scored an unbeaten 165 for New South Wales against Tasmania, after which he was included in Australia’s T20 squad against South Africa in the year 2009.
|Hobbies:||Travelling, Golfing, Writing, Swimming.|
|Favourite Batsmen:||Virat Kohli, Ricky Ponting, Mathew Hayden|
|Favourite Bowlers:||Bhuvneshwar Kumar|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne|
|Favourite sports personalities:||NA|
|Favourite Actors / Actresses:||NA / Jennifer Aniston|
|Favourite Films:||Top Gun, I am Sam|
|Favourite Tv shows:||NA|
|Favourite Musicians/Singers:||‘Burn for you’ by Robbie Balmer|
|Cars Collection:||Lamborghini Huracan|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Affairs/Girlfriends:||Candice Warner (Ironwoman, Model, Surf lifesaver)|
|Marriage Date:||4th April 2015|
|Children:||Daughters, Ivy Mae Warner and Indie Rae Warner|
|Net Worth:||$23 Million|
|IPL 11:||Rs. 11 Crore or $2.21 Million|
- • On June 09 2013, during the time of Champions Trophy in England after losing a match against the hosts, he attacked Joe Root in the wee hours at the Walkabout bar in Birmingham. After this incident, Cricket Australia imposed him a fine of AUD 11,500 (7000 euros)
• On 4 March 2018, he had an ugly spat with South Africa’s Quinton de Kock on a stairwell while the teams were going for a tea break on the 4th day of the first test match.
• On 24th March he got a ban for a year by Cricket Australia for his involvement in the ball tempering saga against South Africa in the 3rd test match of the series. Skipper Steve Smith also got the punishment along with Cameron Bancroft who was the main lead in the story.
|Lesser Known Facts|
• He struggled to get proper cricket equipments due to the financial condition of his family.
• He was a natural left-handed batsman, but after the age of 13 he was told by his coach to switch to a right-handed batsman.
• At the age of 14 he started working at a supermarket/grocery store chain to earn some pocket money and still managed to go to school.
• He made his iconic debut at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the year 2009.
• At the tender age of 5, Warner joined the coastal cricket club in Sydney, Australia as a part of their under 8 teams.
• He used to deliver newspapers for other purposes like to pay his school camp fee, to go for an Easter show, and to buy Christmas gifts for his parents.
• His wife, Candice Falzon is an Australian iron-woman, surf-lifesaver and a model.
• He once skipped a domestic match to watch horse racing, and he now owns 6 racehorses.
• He had some gambling habits, but later after some sort of counselling, he was able to get out of it.
• He is also an author, he started by authoring a series of adventure books for kids called “The Kaboom Kid-The big switch” in the year 2014.