Shane Robert Watson
One of the finest limited-overs all-rounders of the modern era, Shane Robert Watson was the ideal package for white-ball cricket. The ability to dominate pace as well as spin apart from clever medium pace, Watson emerged as one of the bedrock of Australian cricket after the retirements of Gilchrist and Hayden.
One of the few cricketers to win two World Cups (2007 and 2015), Watson played 307 internationals for the Aussies and amassed 10, 050 runs and claimed 291 wickets. He has been of the superstars of the Indian Premier League. From winning the Player of the tournament in the first edition to scoring a match-winning hundred in the 2018 finals; three years after his retirement, Watson will always be in the pantheon of IPL hall of fame.
|Nickname:||Watto and White Shark|
|Height (approx.):||183 cm|
|Weight (approx.):||93 kgs|
|Eye Colour:||Light Blue|
|Date of Birth:||17 June 1981|
|Age (as on 2018):||37 years|
|Birth Place:||Ipswich, Queensland, Australia|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Gemini|
|School:||Ipswich Grammar School, Ipswich, Queensland|
|Test:||vs Pakistan at SCG, 2 January 2005|
|ODI:||vs South Africa at Centurion, 24 March 2002|
|T20:||vs South Africa at Wanderers, 24 February 2006|
|Domestic/State Team:||New South Wales, Chennai Super Kings, Australia, Islamabad United, Sydney Sixers, Canterbury, Sydney Thunder|
|Nature on field:||Very Aggressive|
|Likes to play against:||India, New Zealand|
|Favourite Shot/Ball:||lofted hit over mid-off and backfoot lofted shot over deep-midwicket|
|Career Turning Point|
- Watson holds the record for the highest individual ODI score, he plundered 185 off 96 balls against Bangladesh in 2011, an innings which included fifteen 6s.
- Four consecutive Man of the Matches award in ICC World T20 2012.
- Watson is also the first player to hit a century and take a wicket in a same T20 match.
- Had highest runs, wickets, and sixes in the 2012 edition of the World T20.
- The only cricketer to have won the Australian Player of the Year award for all three formats of the game.
- Watson is also the only player to win the ‘Player of the tournament’ twice in the 11 years of Indian Premier League.
|Hobbies:||Playing Guitar and Singing|
|Favourite Batsmen:||Viv Richards, Chris Gayle, Virat Kohli, Mike Hussey, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, and Brian Lara|
|Favourite Bowlers:||Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney|
|Favourite sports Commentator:||NA|
|Favourite Food:||Rajasthani Lambi Dish, roasted chicken and pizza|
|Favourite Actors:||Russell Crowe, Jacinta Stapleton|
|Favourite Destination:||Jaipur, Maldives and Kenya|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Children’s:||Son: William Watson (2013),|
Daughter:- Matilda Victoria Watson
|Net Worth:||$40 million|
|Awards and recognitions|
- The 2010 and 2011 Alan Border Medal recipient
- Australian ODI Player of the year:- 2010, 2011, 2012
- Player of the tournament in IPL:- 2098, 2013
- Watson’s nude pose for a cricket photoshoot created a lot of furore in the cricketing world.
- During the 2008 Border-Gavaskar Trophy, Watson was involved in an ugly physical altercation with Gautam Gambhir.
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Though Watson is a Queenslander, he initially played domestic cricket for Tasmania.
- In 2014, Watto was Australia’s highest paid cricketer.
- Watson won the Alan Border Medal thrice.
- His first Test wicket was Younis Khan.
- In 2006, during the ICC Champions Trophy in India, his stomach’s pain was misconstrued as an heart-attack.
- Watson loves listening to Sweet child o’ mine by Guns N’ Roses before batting, and Battle Scars by Guy Sebastian before bowling.
- He has 2 pet dogs:- Bobbi and Clappo.