The Tokyo Olympics began from 24 July and have held the people together as the athletes fight it out for winning the medal and bring laurels to the country. Although India only sent a single delegate to the 1900 Paris Olympics, Tokyo 2020 will mark the 100th anniversary of India’s first formal delegation to an Olympics, which took place in Antwerp in 1920. India has won a total of 29 medals in Olympics history, which includes 9 Gold, 8 Silver, and 12 Bronze medals. In the 2021 Olympics, the silver medal was won by Saikhom Mirabai Chanu in 49kg Weightlifting category. But India landed disappointment in players like Marykom in boxing, Deepika Kumari in Archery, and shooters like Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Choudhry.
The India Olympics 2021 campaign has become interesting due to the players performance in the Day 7. This is the schedule for Indian contingent on 31 July,
Archery: Atanu Das vs Takaharu Furukawa (Japan) – 7:18am IST – Men’s Individual Pre-Quarter-finals
Athletics: Seem Punia: 6:00am IST -Women’s Discus Throw Qualification, Kamalpreet Kaur: 7:25am IST- Women’s Discus Throw Qualification,
Sreeshankar: 3:40pm IST- Men’s Long Jump Qualification
Badminton: PV Sindhu vs Tai Tzu-Ying (Chinese Taipei): 3:20pm IST- Women’s Singles Semifinal
Boxing: Amit Pangal vs Yurberjen Herney Martinez Rivas (Colombia): 7:30am IST- Men’s 52kg Round of 16 bout, Pooja Rani vs Li Qian (China): 3:36pm IST-Women’s 75kg quarterfinal bout.
Golf: Anirban Lahiri and Udayan Mane: 04:15am IST- Men’s Individual Stroke Play Round 2 (rescheduled).
Hockey: India vs South Africa: 8:45am IST- Women’s Pool A Match
Sailing: KC Ganapathy and Varun Thakkar: 8:35am IST- Men’s Skiff 49er Race 10, 11 and 12.
It was a relatively good day for the Indian Olympics contingent, where 3 major successes and 2 failures happened.
1. Deepika Kumari lost to Korean top player An San in quarter-finals
2. Rani Sarnobat and Manu Bhaker lost in the 25m Air Pistol event
3. PV Sindhu wins the quarter-final match against Yamaguchi in two straight sets 21-13, 22-20.
4. Indian Hockey men’s team beat Japan in their last league game and finished 2nd in the points table, thereby qualifying for quarter-finals.
5. Lovlina Borgohain secured a medal in boxing at Olympics after beating N.C Chen in Quarter-finals.