Sourav Ganguly Wife, Cricket Career, Height, Age, Batting Stats, Captaincy Records
Updated on: Apr 24, 2023 3:21 pm IST
Sourav Ganguly is a former Indian cricketer and captain of the Indian cricket team. Known as the “Prince of Kolkata,” Ganguly was one of India’s most successful captains and a prolific batsman, known for his aggressive style of play. After retiring from cricket, he became the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and is currently the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in Bengal (CAB). He is also a commentator and cricket analyst, known for his sharp insights and candid opinions.
|Nickname:||Dada, Maharaja, The Bengal Tiger, The Warrior Prince, The God of the Off Side|
|Profession:||Indian Cricketer (Batsman)|
Sourav Ganguly Height
|5 ft 11 in|
|Weight (approx.):||68 Kg|
|Date of Birth:||July 8, 1972|
Sourav Ganguly Age
|Birth Place:||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Cancer|
|College:||St. Xavier’s Collegiate School, Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Educational Qualifications:||Not Known|
|Coach/Mentor:||Hemu Adhikari, VS “Marshal” Patil, BD Desai|
|Test:||June 20, 1996 against England at Lord’s|
|ODI:||January 11, 1992 against West Indies in Brisbane|
|Jersey Number:||#99 (India)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Glamorgan, Lancashire, West Bengal|
|Nature on field:||Aggressive|
|Likes to play against:||Australia|
|Favourite Shot/Ball:||Square Cut|
Why Sourav Ganguly is so famous?
Sourav Ganguly will always be one of India’s finest captains as he built the Indian team brick by brick after being appointed as the captain when Sachin Tendulkar gave up the responsibility due to health concerns.
- Sourav Ganguly still holds the record of winning four consecutive Man of the Match awards
- Sourav Ganguly is still the second highest run scorer of India and also the world’s 8th highest run scorer in the history of One Day Internationals
- Sourav Ganguly is the first ever cricketer to score 9000 runs in One Day Internationals
- Sourav Ganguly is also the fifth cricketer to achieve the unique treble of scoring more than 10000 runs, more than 100 wickets and more than 100 catches in One Day International
- Sourav Ganguly’s knock of 183 remains the highest ever by any Indian batsman in a world cup match
- Sourav Ganguly remains one of the most successful captains of India in the overseas with 11 wins of the 28 matches he captained
- He also scored a ton each in both the innings in his first test match against England in 1996
- Sourav Ganguly has always been hailed as the most arrogant person on the ground during his time in county cricket
- In 2001, in a series against Australia Sourav Ganguly deliberately reported late for toss to avenge the similar disrespect shown by Steve Waugh to him earlier
- Sourav Ganguly was given out on multiple occasions when he was not actually out so some times, he would express his views and that grew to be a dissent to the Umpire for that he was banned for three matches
- He also took revenge to Andrew Flintoff’s shirt waiving in India after drawing a series by waiving his shirt off at the Lords during the NatWest series in 2002
- In 2005, he was dismissed as Captain due to a controversy with the former Indian team’s coach Greg Chappel who was recommended by Sourav Ganguly.
- Sourav Ganguly eloped with his childhood love after knowing that their families would never join hands so they got married in secret.
|Hobbies:||Playing Soccer, Listening to music|
|Favourite Batsman:||David Gower|
|Favourite Bowler:||Not Known|
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||NA|
|Favourite sports personalities:||NA|
|Favourite Food:||Biriyani, Chingri Maacher Malaikari, Aaloo Posto|
|Favourite TV Show:||NA|
Sourav Ganguly Wife
- Sourav Ganguly was first called, “The Prince of Calcutta,’ by Geoffrey Boycott.
- Sourav Ganguly belongs from a very rich family.
- It is surprising that Sourav Ganguly does everything with his right hand except for batting
- Sourav Ganguly, as a child, always fancied football but his elder brother insisted him to enroll in a cricket academy
- Sourav Ganguly before becoming the captain was often dropped from the team sheet because off his attitude. He was refused to take water to a senior cricketer on the ground
- Sourav Ganguly owns a three story restaurant called ‘The Food Pavilion’ in Kolkata
- There’s a housing complex in Kolkata that is also named after him, Sourav Housing Complex
- Sourav Ganguly holds a number of posts one of them being in the panel for IPL Spot fixing.
Never miss an update, visit Google News & FOLLOW US.