Amidst all the madness that is a cricket match, some players come out as bigger than life. One such player is Virat Kohli. We all know that he is an international cricket player and captain of the Indian national team. He has been hailed as one of the best batsmen of all time. Let us look at how he got to where he is today; we go over some of his achievements so far.
Virat Kohli Achievements:
- With the victory at lords, Kohli won for the 37th time in the format as a captain. He overtook the famous Clive Lloyd, who led the West Indies to 36 victories. In terms of Test victories as a captain, the former is currently only behind Graeme Smith (53), Rickey Ponting (48), and Steve Waugh (41).
- As an Indian captain, Kohli has the most Test victories away from home. While guiding the side in foreign circumstances, he has won 14 of the 33 Tests.
- Yet to lose a home Test series, Kohli surpassed Dhoni’s previous record of most Test victories as captain at home earlier this year. Kohli has 23 wins, while MSD had 21 wins.
- Virat Kohli made history by being the first Indian captain to win a Test series in Australia in 2018.
- Kohli leads by example in Test cricket. He is the highest-scoring Indian captain, amassing 5,511 runs at an average of 56.81.
- In Test cricket history, he is the first skipper to hit three hundreds in the first three innings, bettering Greg Chappell’s record of two.
- Most double centuries and 150+ scores as captain.
Read| Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar, Who is the GOAT?
- Virat’s overall average is over 50 in all formats, indicating his dominance.
- Virat has the most runs in the Indian Premier League. He scored a mammoth 973 runs in the 2016 edition, which included four centuries.
- Fastest cricketer to reach 30 and 35 centuries in ODIs.
- Fastest to reach the milestone of 15000 international runs. As if that was not impressive enough, he did that at an average of over 50.
- He scored the most ODI runs in 2011.
- Kohli made the quickest century by an Indian in an ODI during a match against Australia in 2013.
- Most ODI runs by an Indian cricketer for seven consecutive years (2010-2016).
- He has scored 70 centuries in international cricket, just one behind Ricky Ponting.
- Most runs (256) in a match by an Indian to have ended up on the losing side.
- Most player of the series award (9) in ODIs.
- Most Hundreds against one team (West Indies) in ODIs.
- Fastest to 9000, 10000, 11000, and 12000 runs in ODIs.
Read| How Much Virat Kohli Makes Per Instagram Post?
Virat Kohli Awards
- In recognition of his achievements, he was conferred with the Arjuna Award
- (2013), Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2018), and the Padma Shri (2017).
- In 2017 and 2018, the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy (ICC Cricketer of the Year).
- 2012, 2017 ICC One-Day International Player of the Year
- 2017 ICC Test Team of the Year (captain)
- ICC ODI Team of the Year: 2012, 2014, 2016 (captain),
- Sir Garfield Sobers Award for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Decade (2010-2020)
- In 2016, 2017, and 2018 he was named the ‘Wisden Leading Cricketer of the Year’ for his outstanding performance.
- 2011–2020 ICC Men’s Test Team of the Decade (captain)
- 2011–2020 ICC Men’s ODI Team of the Decade
- 2011–2020 ICC Men’s T20I Team of the Decade
- Polly Umrigar Award for International Cricketer of the Year: 2011–12, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18
Read| 5 Most Expensive Things Owned by Virat Kohli