New Zealand cricketer Mitchell McClenaghan is a left-arm medium-fast bowler who plays in limited over internationals. Born on 11 June 1986, Mitchell was raised in Auckland, New Zealand. The 2008 Under-19 World Cup is a turning point for his career where he was selected as a replacement to injured Kyle Mills. He began his domestic career for Central Districts in 2009-2010. In no time he showed his match-winning performance and emerged as a talented player. He made his ODI debut against South Africa in 2011-12 and became the second kiwi player to take four wickets on debut after Dayle Hadlee.
Mitchell is the fastest bowler to take 50 wickets for New Zealand in One Day Internationals. He is also a part of one of the IPL Franchise– Mumbai Indians since 2017. He had played for the Auckland Aces in New Zealand and for the Lahore Qalandar in Pakistan Super League. He also became Man of The Match in 2016 ICC World Cup Twenty20 against Australia. Mitchell took retirement from the central contract with New Zealand cricket in 2017.
- Name: Mitchell John McClenaghan
- Nickname: Recoome
- Role: Fast bowler
- Batting style Left-hand bat
- Bowling style Left-arm fast-medium
- Height (approx.): 188 cm (6’ 2”)
- Weight (approx.): 90 kg
- Eye Colour: Grey
- Hair Colour: Blonde
- Date of Birth: 11 June 1986
- Age (as on February 2019): 33 years 7 months
- Birth Place: Hastings, New Zealand
- Zodiac sign: Gemini
- Nationality: New Zealander
- School: NA
- College: NA
- Father– Late Dennis McClenaghan
- Mother– Jill McClenaghan
- Brother– Not Known
- Sisters– Not Known
- Coach/Mentor: NA
- Religion: Christian
- Address: Auckland, New Zealand
- ODI: 19 January 2013 vs South Africa in Paarl
- T20I: 21 December 2012 vs South Africa in Durban
- First-class: Central Districts v Otago at Napier, Nov 12-15, 2007
- List A: Wellington v Central Districts at Wellington, Dec 30, 2007
- T20: Central Districts v Auckland at New Plymouth, Feb 6, 2009
- Jersey Number: #81 (New Zealand)
#81 (IPL, County Cricket)
- Nature on the field: Aggressive
- Likes to play against: Australia
- Major Teams: New Zealand, Auckland, Central Districts, ICC World XI, Lahore Qalandars, Lancashire, Middlesex, Mumbai Indians, New Zealand A, St Lucia Stars, Sydney Thunder, Toronto Nationals.
- He became second New Zealand bowler after taking 4 for 20in his ODI debut against South Africa.
- McClenaghan became the 2nd fastest in world cricket after taking 50 ODI wickets in 23 matches.
- Hobbies: Travelling and reading
- Favourite Batsman: Stephen Fleming and Brendon McCullum
- Favourite Bowler: Shane Bond and Daniel Vettori
- Favourite Food: Barbecue food
- Favourite Actors: Adam Sandler
- Favourite Actress: Nathalie Kelley
- Favourite Films: Hitman, Inception, Harry Potter, Paranormal Activity, Shrek, The Hangover and Minority Report
- Favourite Musician: Eminem, Micheal Jackson, Adventure Club, Muse, Lil Wayne, Nirvana and Snoop Dogg
- Favourite Book: The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
- Favourite Restaurant: Columbus Coffee in Auckland
Girlfriend, Spouse, and Children
- Marital Status: Unmarried
- Mitchell McClenaghan Girlfriend: Renee Brown (Architect)
Awards and recognitions
- Mitchell won T20 Player of the Year by NZC for the 2013-14 season.
- He won Man of the Match award in the Friends Life T20 in 2013.
- He was declared the Man of the Match in 2016 ICC World Cup Twenty20.
Mitchell is been in controversies many times as was convicted for littering in Auckland.
Lesser Known Facts
- McClenaghan’s father, Late Dennis McClenaghan was a great support and mentor for him. He pushed him to change from a medium pacer to a fast bowler.
- In 2016, he got his eyes severely damaged by a short ball thrown by Anwar Ali in a match against Pakistan.
- Mitchell is also the co-founder of a food products brand called Clean Paleo.