(South African Cricketer)
Albie Morkel is a South African all-round cricketer who was a hard hitting Left-hand batsman and right-arm medium pacer. He was once considered as the next big thing especially in the limited overs cricket due to his abilities to swin the bat hard and hit the ball out of the park at will. Though, he was a bit unlucky with his injuries which cut short his career, but his ability to hit the ball long was something worth watching.
|Profession:||Former South African Cricketer|
|Height (approx.):||6 Feet|
|Weight (approx.):||75 Kgs|
|Date of Birth:||10th June 1981|
|Age (as on 2018):||37 years|
|Birth Place:||Vereeniging, Transvaal Province, South Africa|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign:||Gemini|
|Brother:||Malan Morkel, Morne Morkel|
|Test:||19th March 2006 vs Australia|
|ODI:||20th February 2004 vs New Zealand|
|T20:||21st October 2005 vs New Zealand|
|Jersey Number:||#81 (International and Domestic)|
|Domestic/State Team:||Easterns, Titans, Durham, Chennai Super Kings, Derbyshire, Somerset, Delhi Daredevils, Rising Pune Supergiants, Royal Challengers Bangalore, St Lucia Zouks, Kandurata Warriors, Perth Scorchers.|
|Nature on field:||Calm|
|Likes to play against:||NA|
|Career Turning Point|
- His prominent performance against the touring West Indies side in the year 2003-2004 where he smashed a century and took five wickets.
|Favourite Cricket Ground:||NA|
|Favourite sports Commentator:||NA|
|Girlfriends, Spouse and Children|
|Children:||Albertus Johannes “AJ” Morkel (Son), Cara Morkel (Daughter)|
|Net Worth:||Around $1 Million|
|Awards and recognitions|
|Lesser Known Facts|
- Cricket is in his family’s blood. His father and eldest brother played domestic games while his younger brother Morne Morkel has been a lethal part of Sooth African national team.
- Albie Morkel has a first-class double century to his name with a score of an unbeaten 204 against Western Province Boland while playing for the Titans in the 2004-05 season.
- In his county stint he has represented 3 teams namely Durham, Somerset and Derbyshire and has played mainly T20 cricket for them.
- On his Test debut for South Africa, he replaced his younger brother Morne Morkel who was sidelined due to an injury against Australia in 2009. On his debut game he batted at No.8 he scored 58 and picked up a wicket as South Africa won the match by an innings and 20 runs.
- He has married his childhood crush Marthmari Groenewald and the couple has two children and the family resides in Pretoria.